Port Salut

Started by Hande, August 19, 2011, 04:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hande

Hi,
I make Port Salut 8 weeks ago and today is time to cut  :)
Taste is wonderful, moist, creamy and good taste of linens..maybe my wife accept that cheese  ;)
I use 3 gallon local raw cow milk, I think that milk give me so good result now.
I wash it 4 weeks and then I let it go by it self. I reduce humidity and rind dry a pit to crust.

Hande

Boofer

Mmm, that looks tasty.

Shouldn't it be softer though? The Port Salut cheeses I have seen and eaten have been pretty gooey. Perhaps when it ages a bit more it will soften.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Hande

I cut it when I take it out cave, so it cool when I took picture.
It get softer when it get a warmer, but it not go gooey.
I cut it now that it not go too strong to my wife, I get some reclamation at too strong taste of some cheese  O0

Hande

Pictures of real Port Salut

Boofer

Thanks for those reference pics. Looks like you're right on target.

I hear what you're saying about the wife. I have a similar situation. Also, my wife has a keener sense of smell than me, so I ask her to "smell this" or "smell that" when I want another smell opinion.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

DeejayDebi

That cheese looks very good. How is the springiness of your cheese? Looks a tad drier than it should be but an excelent cheese!

Hande

Yes, it can be more moist after few tasting it.
It melts nice in toast, and my wife accept this one, even breakfast time  ;)

Next time I need cut it larger, heal more and going flocculation x 4 or up ?  ( now 3 ) ?
I get some "visitor" in rind in very humid container, so this time it goes 4 weeks without lid.
I don't know has that effect of final texture inside of cheese ?.
Taste is good now, need more moist and elastic texture..

Hande

silverjam

Hande, Did you spray the rind, or wash the rind with b linen brine or add the b linen to the original milk? I have seen a few recipes and the PS I am making at the moment I am washing with brine, but spraying with B linen water (this is a variant on two recipes I have seen).

Hande

Silverjam, I add b.linens to the milk.
And first 2 wash 3% brine + b.linen and d.hansenii. After that only 3% brine for 4 weeks.

Hande