Penicillium roqueforti - Different Strains

Started by dttorun, August 17, 2011, 06:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dttorun

Hi all,
Is there any document or info available regarding p.roq strains? The culture itself and blue cheese I made from previous sachet was darker in colour and I was quite happy with the marbling I was getting. As I ran out, I got a new sachet (strain PJ) but it is very weak. Before ordering a new one I`d like learn more.
Thanks,
Tan

Sailor Con Queso

Yes, there are at least 3 different strains available - PV, PJ and PA. Unless I'm going after a very mild blue, the PV is my first choice for most blues. PJ has a slower growth rate, a weaker color, and is a milder flavor. PV is more proteolytic and therefor produces a creamier cheese. Suppliers don't always carry all of these strains or they may not make them all available to hobbyists.

PV: Very fast growth rate; strong blue flavor; bluish-green color. Very creamy consistency, e.g. Edelpilz, Roquefort and strong Gorgonzola type.

PJ: Fast growth rate; typical blue flavor; middle-green color. Can be mixed with PV, no unbound moisture, long shelf life, e.g. Edelpilz or Roquefort.

PA: Very fast growth rate; mild blue flavor; dark-green color. Mild cheese, can be mixed with PV, long shelf life, e.g. danish blue and double-mould-type cheese.

dttorun

Sailor,
Thanks for the info. I think I will go with PA this time.
Tan

Milk Maid

Hi Sailor Con Queso--

Do you know what the full names of 'PV', 'PJ' and 'PA' are?

Thanks!

Milk Maid

Milk Maid

I'm adding to my last question about the names of the different stains of blue:

Can someone explain the flavor and texture differences that result between P. roquefortii and P. glacaum?

Al Lewis

Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Beans