Author Topic: Manufactured Freeze Dried Starter Cultures - Amount & Why?  (Read 1521 times)

Mousetrap

Manufactured Freeze Dried Starter Cultures - Amount & Why?
« on: August 31, 2011, 05:05:42 PM »
I'm pretty new to cheesemaking and have a few question on starter culture.  I have seen directions saying that a single packet of mesophilic direct set will do 2 gallons of milk.  I've also seen elsewhere that a single packet will start 2 - 4 gallons.  I usually make with 4 gallons of milk and have been using 2 packets.  I assume that it is similar to bread yeast and is a function of time, temp and afailable food.  Also, can I treat the direct set the same as I do sourdough yeast starters for breadmaking and warm a portion of the milk early adding a single packet to it to get it growing while the batch is coming to temp, then add it to the batch 30 - 45 minutes later when everything is up and ready to go?  Will it effect the time before adding rennet or create a problem with too much culture?  I would watch for ph targets if I knew what they should be.

Mousetrap

Re: Manufactured Freeze Dried Starter Cultures - Amount & Why?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:26:57 PM »
Linuxboy, thanks for the road map.  It was a great help and filled in a lot of gaps for me.   I was thinking more is better as in bread or beer making.  Now I understand that we are looking for a targeted culture density.  In further reading I also found the specific method I was curious about on page 205 of "American Farmstead Cheese." 

linuxboy

Re: Manufactured Freeze Dried Starter Cultures - Amount & Why?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 04:44:17 AM »
I was thinking more is better as in bread or beer making.
To be fair, this is also not exactly true. When making bread, you adjust initial amount of dry yeast or starter based on the hydration, protein content, and rise/proof/bake schedule. When making beer, you need to pitch a quantity of yeast cells per the guidance per liter of wort, given a specific wort gravity. Meaning, more yeast for thicker wort, unless using a known osmophilic strain. The reason it practically doesn't make a difference is that bread and beer are very forgiving, and the results tend to be really similar to the palate.

With all due respect to Peter Dixon, who wrote that chapter in Paul's book, the information is inexact. I'm sure he knows this stuff, but the way that section written, it is confusing. For example a danisco unit (DCU) or a Hansen unit (U), does not denote the relative strength of a starter, or the amount it takes to reach a certain terminal pH in a certain number of hours. All it denotes is the number of cells. That's it. I've posted before what those cell numbers are for DCUs. That's why you see different inoculation rates for different starters. Meaning, some starters are more active, and you can get away with a 1% inoculation, whereas with another starter, it may take 1.5%. In the end, there is not much practical difference, but if you want an exact answer, there it is.

In general, page 205 is decent. Glad you found an answer :). If you have any more questions, just let us know :)