Author Topic: Stirred curd cheddar  (Read 5470 times)

Sue~

Re: Stirred curd cheddar
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 04:13:57 PM »
Making this again today, I'm going to try to not 'beat up' the curds too much this time to try and get a cheddar that is not so crumbly. 

I re-waxed the one I made in September (the original one in this thread)  after giving my parents half, I'm going to let it go a few more months before I test it again

Sue~

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »
So I took it out of the press last night, it was pretty moist feeling still (kind of had more 'give' to it than the one previously).  Hopefully this means I'll end up with less of a crumbly cheese in the  end.

Tomer1

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 07:24:30 PM »
Was it crumbly and dry last time or just crumbly?   because the second condition is related more to salting acidity then mositure.

Sue~

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »
I thought it was a little too dry, still had a bit of a creamy texture when eaten though.  Then again, I tested it at around 2 months which I know is way too soon.  I did not keep track of acidity, I will do so from now on, thanks for the tip.  This is only my second cheddar. 

Tomer1

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 12:15:19 AM »
I dont think cheddar is enjoyable this young, espacially when not making a high moisture version.

Sue~

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
I can hardly believe it, six months later it tastes like cheddar.   ;D  I rewaxed one half and will let it go until september

The one thing I notice is that while smooth and creamy, there are some bites that have a bit of "graininess", like a grain of sand got in the cheese. It's not a lot, just every now and then.  Any ideas why?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 05:20:51 AM »
The one thing I notice is that while smooth and creamy, there are some bites that have a bit of "graininess", like a grain of sand got in the cheese. It's not a lot, just every now and then.  Any ideas why?
Sounds like amino acid crystals. An aged cheese will develop these. I've had them develop several times.

Not a problem...actually a sign of quality in an aged cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.