Author Topic: Cheshire Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 14111 times)

JeffHamm

Re: Cheshire Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »
Thanks fied!

I did them as separate times when I made it yesterday.  I suppose I've increased the acidity, so it will be much more crumbly.  But that's ok, I like crumbly cheese.  Then again, the whey was still pretty sweet tasting, so it didn't seem overly acidic.

- Jeff

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 10:18:28 PM »
Cheshire ready to be caved. I'll leave it to develop a natural rind for 2 or 3 weeks, then wax it:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:08:46 PM by fied »

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 12:03:43 AM »
Nice!  I can only hope mine goes so well.  It's fairly dry already, and will probably end up in the cave tomorrow.  Will see how it goes. 

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 01:51:17 PM »
Looks great, fied!

Can you tell me where you got that 6"x5" mould?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
The mould's the dreaded PVC food grade piping - 6" diameter. Prior to using it for cheese, it was put into near boiling water with a handful of ordinary washing soda for 20 mins.

MrsKK

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 02:42:43 PM »
I'll have to try this cheese over the winter when my cheesemaking classes are all done.  That looks really good - thanks for sharing the recipe and photos, Fied.

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 11:32:19 AM »
You're welcome, Karen.

One other pre-make point I forgot to add in: as I use cultured creme fraiche as a starter, the night before the make, I mix the amount I want to use in a mug of the cheese milk and leave it on the counter; in winter I stand it near the kitchen boiler. By morning, it's usually thickened up. I also do the same with yoghurt when I need a thermo. starter.

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 11:47:54 AM »
The current Cheshire ready to cut at Christmas. I left it to develop a natural rind:

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »
Looks good! All the best to you and your family for the Christmas holidays and New Year!  Looking forward to seenig how this one has turned out and a taste report.  I'm thinking of aging mine out 4 to 6 months, so it will be a bit of time before I get a chance to try it.

- Jeff

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 10:49:32 AM »
Happy New Year, Jeff!

I was going to take a photo of the cut cheese, but the household gannets beat me to it and now there are only crumbs and a piece of rind left. The taste was fine - tangy and nutty, with some depth. The texture was just right - chunky and creamy with a smooth bite. I'd made some redcurrant, red pepper and chili jelly to go with it, but I've just noticed that's mostly gone, too. I assume, in the face of the great silence, that I did something right with this one!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »
Congrats, fied! Job well done.

What's next for the new year?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
More Cheddar types, I think. Perhaps a Gouda and some of the sharp, fresh goat cheeses. Chaource types might be interesting, too.

Cloversmilker

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 04:48:29 PM »
Fied,

Your Cheshire looks very nice.  I have a Cheshire after your recipe air drying now and am going to try another one this weekend.  The temp of my milk started off high with the first one as the milk didn't cool off as much as I expected after milking before adding the culture.  I will try to rectify that with the next make.  I so much appreciate your posting of the recipe with pictures. 

JeffHamm

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »
Happy New Year Fied!

The speed at which a cheese dissappears indicates its quality.  It sounds like this one was an outstanding success!  I've got the one I've made locked down for extended storage, maybe 6 to 8 months.  We'll see.  This report is going to make that resolution harder to keep.  How long have you aged this make?  Does it age well?  It looks to be one that should.

- Jeff

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 10:09:38 PM »
I aged it for three months, Jeff, and was surprised at how quickly the flavour developed. I usually age for six months or more.

Let us know how your cheese turns out, Cloversmilk. If you're using raw milk, you might need less rennet than I've used, but as long as you're around the 20 min. floc. time, it should be fine.