Cheddar a la Caldwell

Started by scasnerkay, March 31, 2013, 06:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scasnerkay

Cheese # 43, Cheddar # 3
I followed the recipe in the Caldwell book, for what I assume is a traditional style cheddar to be aged out longer. Last time I made a cheddar it was targeted to ripen quickly and was yummy at 2 months. This one I aim to wait on opening for more than 6 months. The make went pretty much on target, though the coagulation may have been a bit quicker than desired. I used more CACL this time, just to see if I could notice a difference in the curd, and I did not really. So on the next make I will probably go back to the 1/4 tsp for 2 gallons. The milk I use is very consistent from one batch to the next. I was impressed with how much whey came off the curd with stirring for almost an hour, and the final weight on the cheese was quite a bit less than usual (1# 12 oz), so I expect this will be a drier cheese, even with the 3.5 multiplier.

Cheddar 3-30-13
2 gallons pasteurized cream top milk (pH 6.7)
¼ tsp MA4001
½ tsp CACL in ¼ cup water (usually I use just ¼ tsp)
1.5 ml single strength calf rennet
1.5 Tablespoon salt

Targets:
Rennet: 6.6 (actual 6.5)
Cutting: 6.5 (actual 6.5)
Drain: 6.2 to 6.3 (actual 6.2)
Milling: 5.3 to 5.4 (actual 5.3)
Flocculation multiplier: 3.5
Cooking curd: 90 degrees to 102 degrees in 30 mins

11:40 Milk to 90 degrees, added starter, waited 5 mins and stirred in. Covered and rest 30 mins.
12:30 At temp still, pH now 6.5. Stirred in calcium and waited 5 mins. Then stirred in rennet. Flocculation in 10.5 mins. Target cutting at 37 mins.
1:10 Clean break and cut curd in approx 3/8 inch size, rested 5 mins
1:20 Began heating curd, temp starting at 87, aiming for 102 in a little over 30 mins
2:00 Temp 102, pH of whey 6.5 and kept on stirring....
2:30 Temp still 102, curd firming up, pH 6.3
3:00 Temp 101, curd nice and squeaky, and sticking to my top hand after pressing a bit together to squeeze out the whey. Measured pH at 6.2 Drained whey, and gathered curd in cheesecloth to drain further, turning over after 15 mins. Kept warm over pot.
3:40 Whey pH 6.0, curd mass cut into 1 inch slices and stacked, repeating 2 more times every 15 mins.
4:00 Whey pH at 6.0, keeping temp about 85 degrees.
4:15 Whey pH 5.3, cut up curd to mill... adding salt. The chunks of curd were so firm I was afraid they would not knit together!
4:30 Into cheesecloth lined form, pressing in pot keeping temp about 75 degrees, with about 15 #.
4:45 Not formed enough to flip. Back into pot with about 27 # whey pH 5.2
5:15 Nice enough knit to flip and redress. Pressing with a heating pad nearby and towel to tent the press to maintain temp about 72. Now at about 45 # Whey pH still at 5.2.
6: 30  Redressed and pressing at 72 # No longer feeling like I need to worry about knit, I took away the heating pad.
8:00 Nicely knit, redressed and returned with 72 #
10:00 Redressed and returned to press with no weight other than that coming from the bar.
7:30 am  Very nice looking, firm, smelling lovely. Knit is very good. Weighing in at 1 #, 11 oz.
Will let rest at room temp today, then into the cave. I expect to bag this one soon to avoid more moisture loss.
Susan

cowboycheese

Have you cracked this open yet?

Thanks for posting - great detail. A cheese for you!

scasnerkay

I did open it at about 7 months. I took it to share at a class with Gianaclis Caldwell. I was nervous about what others might think about my attempt. However it was met with positive comments, including from Linuxboy.  I did make another post on it....
https://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12112.msg93189.html#msg93189
But I still have not figured out how to make a nice link in a posting....
So it was titled cheddar tasting - 7 months if you cannot find it by the above copy/paste
Thank you for the checking and for the cheese!
Susan

Spoons

A cheese for you indeed! I always look forward to your posts. You're so thorough. As a matter of fact, I was looking for your posts in the "grana" section to see if you ever made a parm. I only saw 2 Romanos, no parm.  :P Your posts make me want to buy Caldwell's book, so far I've relied on Pav's and Dixon's recipes.

Keep on truckin' Scasnerkay, keep up the great posts!

Geodyne

Great job on the cheese, Scasnerkay. It looks amazing.

Spoons, I'd recommend Caldwell's book. It's become my go-to for clarifying details at a given stage of a a make.