Author Topic: can I save this cheese?  (Read 1016 times)

breezy2

can I save this cheese?
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:14:15 PM »
I was attempting a mozzarella. The instructions I was using had no measurements. So I started with 4 gallons fresh goats milk. heated to 104,  I added 1 teas. of thermo culture and decided to move it to a pan in a sink of water to keep up to temp. I poured it into new pan and then added the rennet. I put 16 drops in about 2 tablespoons of water. Stirred into milk. Waited an hour which the instructions said. It had a thin skin on top, but other than that was just like plain milk consistency. In looking on here I see it may have been to hot for my animal rennet.

Any ideas?

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: can I save this cheese?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:23:42 PM »
104F is not too much but I think your rennet is not active. How old is your rennet?

Also how many minutes you waited after adding the culture? if the acidity does not develop, the affect of rennet will be less.

breezy2

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 01:35:57 PM »
the rennet is only about two months old and has been kept in the refrigeration. I only waited a few minutes before adding the rennet. I have let it sit overnight and it seems to have set somewhat. I think I will scoop it into cheese cloth and see what happens.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »
Breezy,

You need to find a new recipe that includes measurements or you are just guessing. There are plenty here on the Forum.

What kind of milk are you using?

breezy2

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 02:36:47 PM »
I ended up draining it, it was a crumbly texture. I added some roasted garlic to it. My kids stopped over and thought it fabulous!