Introduction and question

Started by goatcheeser, November 09, 2011, 12:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goatcheeser

Hi! I'm from Western NY and own a small (very small) goat farm and have been making cheese now for a few years. Some of what I've made - Gouda, Cabra, Caerphilly, Chihuahua. I've learned a lot from all of you by "lurking" here for quite a while and you've helped me a lot!! Now I have a question. I recently bought some cheese from Murray's called Cabra Romero which I thought was possibly one of the best cheeses I've ever tasted. It's a cabra from Murcia Spain coated with rosemary embedded in lard. The rosemary flavor goes from almost nonexistent in the very center of the cheese to very full at the outer most point. The coating had obviously been on the cheese for a while and yet I don't think the cheese had been aged particularly long (maybe 90 days). My question is, at what point in the process do you put that coating on? I would love to be able to make this cheese since I grow lots of rosemary and love the flavor of it. Please help.

linuxboy

around 85 days. IIRC, it's coated a bit before shipping. Coat, let stabilize, pack, ship. This way, the rosemary acts as a perfume and is fresh. Eat at 90-120 days.

Welcome :)

Mateo

It's a cabra from Murcia Spain coated with rosemary embedded in lard.

i go to see that goat , their are near to me

everyday i learn more from here

i want to know , how much cost here that cabra...

goatcheeser

LB: Thanks. I'll definitely give this a try in the spring when I've got milk again.

Mateo: Wish I could come visit you and those goats!

Gürkan Yeniçeri

Cheese Head

Mateo

Sure , u come here , i will wait for that visit