Equipment Cleaning - Sanitizers & Cleaners Discussion

Started by Chicken man, December 11, 2011, 09:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicken man

Hi All
Just wondering if people have any ideas on sanitising vats, and equipment.
I read somewhere, that Hypochlorite is a good sanitiser.
Does anyone have a better suggestion, or the best solution proportions for Hypo.
Cheers
Ian

boothrf

Chicken Man,

I use Milton's, the sanitiser used for cleaning baby bottles and utensils. You get it from the supermarket either as a bottle of liquid or tablets. The instructions give you the dilution rate. Just mix with cold water and soak all your equipment. I make sure all my equipment is thoroughly cleaned (using hot water and detergent) after use, then I just soak it in the Miton's  on the day I make cheese. Milton's active ingredient is soduim hypochlorite. Its very easy to use, especially the tablets, so you can make up any amount you want, easily.

Bob

Chicken man

Thanks Bob.
I initially went looking for Miltons solution and found a 4 litre bottle of Hypo.
I later read about the dilution of the hypo and then forgot were i found the info!!!!
Damn!!
Anyway, thanks. if all else fails , i will get some Miltons.
Cheers
Ian

george13

From my personal experiance, I use any alkiline cleaner specific to dairy products for removing cheese or milk residue, as most bases will do that.  Here in NY I buy a product called  Bioway De-Sol Chlor (It also has chlorine in it for sanitizing).  However, if you are only sanitizing, a 200ppm solution of chlorine and water is accepted by the NY authorities as a standard sanitizer for all equipement.  Not sure what is available in Australia.  Cheers

sominus

I just put mine in the dishwasher on the sanitation cycle.  Before starting the machine I add a bit of iodophor (which I have a gallon of from brewing beer).  Since the dishwasher gel is fairly caustic in and of itself, the longevity and temperature of the cycle is prodigious, these combine to do a more than acceptable job (for me).

-M
--
Michael Dow

Chicken man

Thanks Michael.
I also until recently use our dishwasher.
However, i now have a large Vat for processing, and it wont fit in our D\W.
Need to find the right chemicals to do the job!!
Ian

Crystal

Hi Chicken Man,
being a mum i know all about milton, but youd have to fill the entire vat with the solution... My pots dont fit in the dishwasher either so i have been putting everything that fits through the dishwasher then half filling my pots, chucking all my bits and peices in the pots, put the lids on and crank them on the stove. Time for 5 minutes once its at a rolling boil. Equipment will be sterile for up to 24 hours or until you lift the lid, so let the pots cool until your ready to make your cheese. I have a steel colander and spoons and a knife, i clip my thermometer to the inside of the pot and the lid still goes on. The only thing that doesnt fit is the huge bowl i have for salting and other stuff, but i turn it upside down onto of the pot, without the lid and do it that way. But if you have plastic equipment this wont work... all mine is steel so its ok.

Chicken man

Thanks Chrystal.
I have Hypo, but not sure of the concentration.
The dairy where i get my milk from uses a sanitiser, so i might just have to hold of some of that.
Mu new vat is 45 liters so i need to clean it with chemicals.
Cheers
Ian

Sailor Con Queso

A sanitizer is not the same thing as a cleaner. For serious cleaning there are many acid based dairy cleaning solutions, but these will also eat up aluminum (sink drains, etc). There are also several caustic (basic) powders that aren't as damaging. I have switched from an acid cleaner to Sodium Percarbonate (the primary ingredient in Oxyclean) for daily use. Then I still use an acid cleaner once a month for deep cleaning.

Chicken man