Storing brine?

Started by steffb503, January 04, 2012, 11:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeejayDebi

I save and sanitize old milk bottles and pour the bring back into the bottles and store in the fridge between makes if it is less than 2 weeks.

hoeklijn

Most Dutch artisan cheese farms have their brining tank in the storage room, and it will be used for months. Checking the saturation and PH is done on a regular base.

zenith1

Steff-sorry I never re-posted the information that you requested. I have attached a PDf file for you.

wilcofan

how do you know how much salt to add to your brine after a couple of uses?  Is there a way to test this other than measuring electrical resistance?

linuxboy

Yes, measure the specific gravity with a hydrometer. There are hydrometers out there specifically for salinity called salometers.

Edgwick Farm

Just out of curiosity, what do you all use for a brine tank?  Any pictures?  We have been using a big cambo box for brining and then filtering the brine and storing in 5 gallon buckets in the cave until the next use.  Not real happy with this method.  At Consider Bardwell Farm we saw they had a big plastic box like thing on wheels with a cover (photo attached)