Author Topic: Hi from coastal Maine!  (Read 792 times)

eatmorechz

Hi from coastal Maine!
« on: February 09, 2012, 02:07:05 AM »
Hello all!
I've been a lurker here for quite some time and have learned a lot of valuable information and found much inspiration as well.

My name is Tony and I live in central Maine (soon to be on the coast) along with my wife and 2yr old daughter and we all absolutely love cheese. 
It's cute at first when your little one likes expensive exotic cheeses... but the novelty wears off when you realize she's eating into your portion :P

We're actually in the midst of opening a retail cheese and specialty food shop in Belfast, Maine and hope to see some of you folks sooner or later, whether you live here or are just visiting...

Our shop is going to be called "eat more cheese" and we're aiming for an opening date of sometime in mid-April of this year.

We're going to really focus on bringing in a lot of cheese from local and regional producers, but of course we'll still be carrying a large selection of cheeses from abroad.  We'll be carrying the usual fare of delicious pairing foods as well... charcuterie, olives, chocolate, jams and jellies, nuts and dried fruit, etc.

We're also planning on carrying beer and wine, with an emphasis on craft beer.  That's more a personal decision than anything... I just like good beer! I also feel like beer and cheese pairings tend to be a bit neglected, so I'm hoping to spread some of that love.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions or anything at all, please do let me know! I'm not a cheese expert by any means, and I have a lot to learn.  I'm sure I'll be back on these forums quite often picking your brains for useful info.

I don't want to make this sound like an ad, but if anyone wants to check out our Kickstarter project, you can view it here - http://goo.gl/i9ECk
And we've got a rudimentary Facebook page setup as well- www.facebook.com/eatmorecheese

Looking forward to getting to becoming a more active member of this community :)

Cheese Head

Re: Hi from coastal Maine!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 11:17:31 AM »
Hi and welcome and good luck with your new business!

We've had some Cheesemongers here in the past, see the Cheesemongering Board, but don't think recently to be able to offer advice. That would be a good board to ask those type questions.

Hope your surveys and analysis show enough demand, you have a long road ahead, good luck combining your passion and business!

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:49:25 PM »
Hi Tony-welcome to the forum. Good luck with your new adventure, I sure hope it works out well for you and I will add you to our trip this summer. I also am a big fan of custom crafted beers and how well they seem to pair with various cheese types. As far as suggestions, I really like a local shop that carries local products as much as possible. There is just nothing like being connected to the area you live through good food- and cheese and beer are at the top of my list.

Priestman

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:12:41 PM »
Welcome and good luck with the cheese shop.  I bought my first bunch of dairy sheep from a farm in Belfast.  Beautiful area. 

Paul
THE BIG FARM Creamery
www.thebigfarmcreamery.com

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »
Good luck with your project and welcome to the forum.