Leiden (Cumin Cheese)

Started by Boofer, February 05, 2012, 06:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeejayDebi

Yes nettle is use as rennet.

hoeklijn

I'm not sure that is the "stinging nettle" I'm talking about (Urtica dioica), but the stuff was mixed through the curd just before putting it in the moulds. However, typing this I realize that the water it was cooked in, was added to the milk before the rennet. But could this cause a bitter taste and early blowing? I will also ask my milk supplier about this,because they sometimes makes batches with nettle...

Oude Kaas

QuoteYes nettle is use as rennet.

That's a different nettle.

Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica), brandntel in Dutch, is used as a flavouring herb in cheese in Holland.

Here's one: Brandnetelkaas

hoeklijn

OK, that solves the misunderstanding about "brandnetel" and nettle used as a rennet.

Which part of Holland do you have your roots, Oude Kaas?

Oude Kaas

Boofer

It is time to cut into this cheese and see what I find.

Removing it from the vacuum-sealed bag, the cheese is poofed up. The rind is dry but elastic. Cutting the cheese, I find it has a texture not unlike a Gouda. There are lots of eyes/holes. While I was surprised by this and excited at first, a Leiden true to the style does not have so many holes. Most pictures of Leiden show it as a Gouda with cumin seed. The cumin lends a gentle touch to the cheese. The flavor of the cheese is mild.

I won't bore any readers with a tantalizing picture or mouthwatering description of the cheese melting on sourdough toast. It was delicious!  :D

I resealed most of it for a little more aging.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

H-K-J

Now that's an OHWOW!! and a thumbs to you, BOOFER, I believe I can taste it ma self  ^-^
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

Now doesn't that look a treat!  Well done.  I take it this one will be repeated.

- Jeff

DeejayDebi

That look awsome Boofer! Looks like just the right amount of seeds too. They call for way to many in the recipe. You texture looks perfect as well, I big cheese for you.

hoeklijn

Congrats with your Leiden, Boofer. I'm also surprised to see the eyes, but who cares if the taste and smell is OK!
I will wait at least for another week before I cut the first of my two, but I will surely make some pictures...

Boofer

Quote from: hoeklijn on April 15, 2012, 04:01:43 PM
Congrats with your Leiden, Boofer. I'm also surprised to see the eyes, but who cares if the taste and smell is OK!
I will wait at least for another week before I cut the first of my two, but I will surely make some pictures...
Thanks, hoeklijn. Looking forward to your good results (and pics) as well.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

That cheese looks awesome.  Which flavor dominates, the cheese or the cumin?

Boofer

Quote from: anutcanfly on April 16, 2012, 04:19:05 PM
That cheese looks awesome.  Which flavor dominates, the cheese or the cumin?
You know, it's a very mild (not bland) flavor for both. I think I achieved the taste profile I was seeking, though I have never tasted a true Leiden. It's a Gouda with a hint of cumin. Because I may be biased in my opinion, I await my son's family tasting it to furnish additional feedback. I gave him a small wedge this morning.

Also, it is a mere two months old. Perhaps its flavor will change positively over the next month or so.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

If you love it, that's all thats counts! I reread this whole thread and I can't for the life of me figure where those holes might be coming from?  Anybody have any ideas? Very curious!

DeejayDebi

Maybe moisture/air trapped in the seeds? I don't recall that happening to mine but I toasted mine a tad so maybe it dried them more? I don't know but I think it looks kewl! You really did want it that way right?  ;)