Author Topic: Newbie humor  (Read 9172 times)

MolBasser

Re: Newbie humor
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 06:28:29 AM »
Cheese seems to be doing OK.

It looks really chunky, like the curds weren't small enough or they didn't meld well even under 50# of pressure overnight.

Yellowing a tad, but I hear that this is normal.  No mold or anything else.  I've been flipping and turning it every day.

56F is the temp it is at.

Imma let it ride for a while before I figure out how to seal the moisture.  Most likely vac seal.

MolBasser

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 05:37:23 PM »
This is what I listen to when I make cheese....

(and other stuff)

[youtube]Grateful Dead - Mr. Charlie - 03/23/72 NY[/youtube]

MolBasser

great stuff! definitely the right one making cheese :)

MolBasser

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 03:49:56 AM »
So my failure cheese, the one before the one on this thread, started molding pretty bad and I took it out of the cave.

Cut off the mold and tasted it.  It was alright.  Certainly edible.  Quite crumbly, but it was a last ditch attempt to save the cheese, and so it wasn't a total loss.

Kind of crappy texture, but the flavor was decent.

The cheese from this thread has made a nice rind (I think) and no mold whatsoever.  It is kind of dry on the exterior and I'm thinking of vacuum sealing it for the rest of the aging process.  I don't have wax, so that is out.

MolBasser

MolBasser

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 05:32:45 AM »

Here is a terrible pic of my cheese.

the black marks are from the grate that it is sitting on in the cave that was used to roast meat in the oven....

Lame.  I know.  I'm trying.

Imma vac seal the cheese this weekend, I think.

MolBasser

MolBasser

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 05:33:59 AM »
I REALLY have to do some practice with my phone cam....

MolBasser

margaretsmall

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 09:22:08 PM »
Looks good Molbasser. And now I can confess to picking dust specks off my cheese...  ;)
Margaret

GreyGoose

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2012, 02:12:19 AM »
I don't have wax, so that is out.
MolBasser - yes you do!  it is called paraffin - just add a Crayola (color of your choice)!
Best of luck!

MolBasser

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2012, 05:08:29 AM »
I've got a vacuum sealer and bags here.

Wax would require effort to purchase and impliment.

I know how to vacuum seal stuff.

MolBasser

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 02:26:33 AM »
I just truely hate waxing! I always make a mess and it's always embedded in my cheese. All those tiny cracks and creavses I can see the wax and it turns me off. Even commercials cheese I cut a good chunk of the rind off to make sure I am not eatting wax. Back in the 70's I got a "bag Sealer" called Daisy Seal-A-Meal and used that. No vacuum just sucked out the air with a coffee straw and sealed it.

mchcllns

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2012, 03:39:54 AM »
Two in the cave!

First one is from my disaster last weekend.  Don't ask.  At least I got a wheel out of it.

Yesterday's is on the right.

MolBasser

I predict your disaster cheese will be better than your proud cheese, and you'll never quite duplicate it :D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »
That has happened a few times. Ever make a cheese and during the make the phone rings and you get off balance and don't write everything down and it becomes a wonderful cheese and you don't know why it was different from the rest?

MolBasser

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2012, 03:46:14 PM »
Cheese was OK.  Nothing to write home about, but it was extremely well recieved at the party that I brought it to.

Everyone was all "You made this?!?!!"

I think the novelty that someone could actually make cheese made it taste better for the people.

I'm proud to say that my wheel was eaten much faster than the commercial wheels that were there.

Myself, I was disappointed.

Well, try again!

MolBasser

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2012, 10:43:42 PM »
I have been told my new people I meet that you can't make cheese at home. Some people don't get it and some appreciate your efforts.

coroto

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2012, 07:36:44 PM »
Well, if you had a one-month-old cheese and people thought it was good, just think how great it will be when you are able to age it longer.  In my experience many cheeses at one month are TOTALLY BORING, but give it time and good things will happen!