Author Topic: First Derby  (Read 3932 times)

Tomer1

Re: First Derby
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 12:02:31 AM »
I'd likely just steep part of the curds in the green paste ,salt and go to the press.

woollyuk

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 09:12:34 AM »
Hi Jeff, I agree with leaving the salt out during pressing. I have had a quick test of my other cheeses and they taste fine and they contain the same amount added after milling. The only difference between them is the salt during pressing. I guess I must have overdone it. Gives me a good excuse to get the pans and milk out again and have another go, not that I needed one.  :D ;D

Nigel

Tomer1

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 09:16:38 AM »
How much salt did you use? %
Adding salt by weight is always the best idea.

woollyuk

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »
As flipped the cheese in the press I rubbed salt over the top and bottom as in the recipe ( no amount was advised). I guess I used too much, hard to say how much I used it was a 4" diameter press and I sprinkled salt top and bottom and returned it to the press, maybe did that 3 times.

woollyuk

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »
When I added salt after milling it was 2 Tablespoons, amount of milk started with was 9 litres. Sorry forgot to add that in my last post.

Tomer1

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 10:49:13 AM »
9 liter can be 950 grams of curd and as little as 800 grams of curd.  so salting "error" or differential  (given 2% salting) can be as high as 20%.   
Anyway, I think Undersalting is more likely for the cheese to have defacts then when over salting. 

woollyuk

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 11:11:42 AM »
Tomer1, yeah I understand what you mean. If I remember I ended up with 1200gram approx at salting time. But I do understand what you are getting at, I must admit that I hadn't thought of the difference in curd weight from different milks. That's what comes of just blindly following a recipe. I will keep that in mind for future cheeses. Thank you.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »
Sorry forgot to add that in my last post.
If you think of something after you have posted your message, you can go back to that posting and MODIFY it to include what you forgot. This makes for cleaner communication and makes sense unless you're just trying to multiply your postings.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

woollyuk

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 01:33:14 PM »
Ok Thanks for that. I'm learning all the time. You wouldn't think I was an IT manager would you?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 11:29:30 PM »
Not unless you use forum software at work.

woollyuk

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
How did you know that I have the forum on and monitored while I'm here at work. ;D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »
How did you know that I have the forum on and monitored while I'm here at work. ;D
Uh oh, busted!  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 03:12:42 AM »
Time and date stamp .... sh!  ;)