Cellar upgrade ->cheese cave

Started by Vina, May 29, 2012, 08:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vina

here are some pictures of our new 'cheese cave', -
1) We have separated part of the basement with a new brick wall
2) then walls and ceiling washed and painted with water-based paint

naturally temps in summer holds about 55-59F (12-15C), I have not checked RH yet.
I would appreciate any of your comments and especialy on what would be the best humidity controll solution for my cave?

Tomer1

First put a RH meter in there, It might be very humid in there and nothing needs to be tweaked.

The space seems small enough for a ultrasonic humidifier if RH needs a boost.   You might want to treat the walls with some kind of coating as mildew and black mold might be an issue.

DeejayDebi

I would use a spray sealer to seal everything.

Vina

Quote from: Tomer1 on May 29, 2012, 09:17:14 PM
.........  You might want to treat the walls with some kind of coating as mildew and black mold might be an issue.

Thanks! I googled a bit and found there are lots and lots of coatings / paints against molds. The only concern was - may I use them in cheese-cave?

Quote from: DeejayDebi on May 29, 2012, 11:04:47 PM
I would use a spray sealer to seal everything.

Thank you, it really seems reasonable.

Tomer1

QuoteThe only concern was - may I use them in cheese-cave?

I see no reason not to. as long as they are safe for humans they are safe for cheese  ^-^

DeejayDebi

I didm't find any info about bricks but I did find info on comcret block

Concrete Block walls should be heavy density, non-porous blocks. Concrete block walls should be installed in a stack bond pattern (with reinforcement), rather than a running bond pattern (see Fig. 1), as there is less hold up of dust and moisture. As stated previously, the concrete blocks should be installed with a solid cap on the top course and without ledges or crevices. For additional durability and cleanability concrete block walls should be appropriately sealed and finished by painting with semi-gloss or gloss epoxy enamel paint covering.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fs120

Vina

Quote from: DeejayDebi on June 02, 2012, 02:04:07 AM
I didm't find any info about bricks but I did find info on comcret block

Thank you! they seem to be seroius sanitary requirements.

Quote from: Tomer1 on May 29, 2012, 09:17:14 PM
First put a RH meter in there, It might be very humid in there and nothing needs to be tweaked.

I bought new RHmeter from local laboratory equipment dealer. Today readings are 12*C and RH 82%

Tomer1

Thats almost optimal for hard cheeses, Does it get much hotter outside during the summer then it is now?

Vina

well, it does, mid June  - September it is real summer, it's getting quite hot, temps can reach 85F (30C) and we have good humidity, as our country is close to the sea.

Tomer1

So you need an AC in there which will obviously alter the RH (dry up the room).

Vina

yes, I know.
actually, its pretty cool during summer as well (basement), around 15 - 16C. As far as I know, AC can cool the room aprox to this temp.