Herb Oil feta

Started by T-Bird, June 05, 2012, 11:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bird

I saw somewhere a feta marinated (aged?) in herb infused olive oil. I thought it sounded good. I made a batch of feta 6 wks ago, brined it, and today I infused some EVOO with fresh oregano, rosemary, and black peppercorns. I drained, dried some of the feta and submerged it along with the herbs in the oil. The oil was brought to 180 deg F with the herbs in it and allowed to cool. How do I store the cheese? If I put it in the fridge, the oil will look unappetizing until it's room temp and I'm not sure the herbs will infuse the cheese at 40ish deg F.

tinysar

I assume by "unappetizing" you are talking about the oil crystallising at low temperature? I had always wondered about that - why do my homemade evoo-marinated products go solid/cloudy, but not the storebought versions? This page says that it's because they use "winterized" olive oil, which has already had those crystals (various waxes & fats) filtered out. Some extra-virgin oil is apparently naturally low in these waxes/fats and will stay liquid without processing. Alternatively you can use canola oil - less healthy & different flavour, but it will stay liquid at fridge temps.

NimbinValley

In Australia this problem is overcome by adding another oil such as canola or sunflower oil in the order of 10% from memory.

NVD.

T-Bird

Thanks for the comments, I actually saute in canola so I have both. I will try the olive/canola combo. may just put up with the gelled look until this batch is eaten. How long to marinate? I was thinking maybe a week?

boothrf

T-Bird,

When I use EVOO I just take it out of the fridge 30mins before I need it and the crystallisation disappears.

The longer you marinate, the more flavour the cheese absorbs. I find mine doesn't last that long anyway  ;)

Bob

T-Bird

I used 1/2 EVOO and 1/2 Light O/O/ and it didn't crystalize-looks good. will let it sit 2 weeks if I can stand it!

MacGruff

I did the same with mine a few weeks ago - I mean I used extra virgin olive oil and dumped a whole bunch of middle-eastern herbs in there (zaatar!).

Silly me, I put it in the fridge and the next morning it was cloud and had the consistency of jelly, so since that time, it's been in a container on top of the microwave - and I've dipped in on occasion to get some cheese.

today, I went to grab some to top a salad I was having for dinner and noted that the bottom edge of the one cheese cube left is turning pink in color. I gingerly took a sliver and it tasted all right. But, does anyone have any idea where the pink color came from, and most importantly, is it time to dump it and make a new one?

Thanks for the help!

dukegus

Quote from: Bob on June 06, 2012, 11:21:25 PM
When I use EVOO I just take it out of the fridge 30mins before I need it and the crystallisation disappears.

That's what I do too! I don't think there is any reason to use anything else except for EVOO except if the price concerns you.
Here in Greece it's the only thing that's left that I still have in pretty big amount so! And it tastes soooo good :)

About the pink MacGruff it's happened to me too, some kind of microorganism maybe? I ate it of course(I can never dump food...) but I haven't decided what it was.
Could be some kind of enzymatic activity too from the enzymes that are still active in the cheese...

Tomer1

You can use lower quality olive oil with higher acidity.  For this porpuse I think it will work just as well.

T-Bird

Mine is still in the fridge in the O/O which finally clouded. I am going to hold on to it. When I eat it, I'll put a "period" on this thread.