Staffordshire Cheese

Started by JeffHamm, June 24, 2012, 01:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anutcanfly

I've made my share of duds...I like to dwell on the happy accidents!  Looking forward to hearing about this cheese in 6 months.

JeffHamm

I had to change the vac. bag on one of the pieces of this.  And, since it was out of the bag, had a taste.  It's now developed into a nice mild, creamy cheese.  Very smooth texture and taste.  Not at all salty.  So, I've left this piece out to be consumed and will age the rest a few more months.

- Jeff

bbracken677

Nice! How did you get the smooth rind on it? Did you press in warm whey?

JeffHamm

Hi bbracken677,

I didn't press it under whey, put did press it in the pot, so put the curds in a cloth lined mould, put the mould in a pot, put the pot in the sink with warm water and press; this helps keep the curds warm while pressing for the first hour or so.  After that, it's just at room temp for the night.

- Jeff

bbracken677

So just warming the curds for an hour or so would do the trick?  Nice!

JeffHamm

Yes, pressing in the pot (I believe Sailor introduced this idea to the boards) is a good way to help get a better knit.  If I were to make this one again, I think it needs to expel more moisture (more stirring or cooking, etc) and the curds needed to get a bit stickier before moulding.  Might experiment with it a bit more at some point.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

I can report that this does melt, and makes a pretty good toasted cheese sandwhich.  So, I think with a bit of tweaking this could work out nicely.  I think it basically needed more stirring and cooking, but it's coming right.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

Opened the other half today.  It was wet in the bag, so I wiped it down.  It has a "fruity" flavour that seems to occur if the cheese is stored too moist.  I'm hoping it will dissipate as it airs out in the cave for a few days.  It still has a very creamy texture, and one can detect some promises underneath this odd flavour.  It will be interesting to compare how the 2nd one turns out as it was aged with a natural rind.  Anyway, I think this is a make that can be improved upon and that this one is just not the best example of what could be done.

- Jeff

P.S.  Hmmm, I cut some more of this this morning and let it sit out for a few hours now.  The flavour is much better than it was last night.  Still room for some improvement, but with a few more days of breathing, this may just come right after all.

JeffHamm

Ok, it seems air this out has really helped it.  Had friends over for a BBQ last night and put out a cheese board, which included this one.  And, someone picked this as their favorite (and it was up against my first wash rind tomme, a 1 year old cheshire, and a bought cheese with cumin seeds).  Two of us liked the tomme and the cheshire as our very close #1 and 2.  Also, I find the flavour is much improved as well.  There's something about the taste of a cheese that has been long in the bag or wax that seems a bit wrong, but then it goes away with airing.  The cheese equivalent of musty.

- Jeff

Boofer

Congrats on your tastings, Jeff.

Yeah, I've had a few of those cheeses that get wet in the bag and then the rind turns whitish. A lot of opening the bag, drying the cheese, and either resealing or replacing the bag. My Cheddar #2 is like that. It has had time to dry out since it was made, but it still sweats in the bag. It's cousin, #1, made just a bit earlier doesn't have that "sweating in the bag" problem.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

bbracken677

Great job on the cheese, Jeff!  I hope to have some cheeses for a cheese plate for family to taste around Christmas.

JeffHamm

Thanks guys! 

And Boofer, yes, the rind was very white, and softish/crumbly.  Cheese sweat is what it is, and it goes a bit sweetly fermented, which is producing the fruity flavours that I detect.  It does fade, but I have to remember to take that into account the next time I plan on opening a cheese.  When I opened this half earlier, it was pretty much a dud.  Edible, but not one I would call a huge success.  Now, however, it's much better and, though a bit mild for my tastes, is a good result.  It melts exceptionally well (I made a cheese omlette with it the other day), and has enough flavour to use for such things.  Would probably make a good cheese sauce for mac and cheese, etc. 

And bbracken677, I'm sure your cheese plate will be a huge success.  I should have taken a photo of mine; next time.

- Jeff