Freeze Dried Starters Cultures - traveling to another country

Started by luiscaraubas, July 03, 2012, 04:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luiscaraubas

Hi. I'm Luís and i'm from Brazil. Unfortunatelly, there isn't here good supplies (at least i didn't find until now). So, i intend to order some cultures from U.S.A. to ship to me. Usually, the time of the shipping is about 1 month. Plus custom and taxes can take 40 days to receive them in my hands. Well, my question is about if fungs like PC, Geo and PR still have effectiveness. I think there won't be a great issue with the starter cultures after the great post of Sailor https://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5165.0.html , but if there is a problem because of the long time without the frozen temperature, please, let me now.

linuxboy

If you can afford it, try USPS express mail. You should have it in your hands within 2 weeks in Brazil.

Your cultures will die off some, but should still retain viability. Depends on just how hot it gets.

luiscaraubas

As always, thanks for the great guidance, linuxboy. Is there a way to measure the effectiveness of the PC, Geo or PR without to do a cheese? If it's possible, how should I adjust for the cheese?

linuxboy

There is, technically, but without a lab, your measurement instruments are not fine enough, nor are the conditions controlled enough to eliminate variables.

I would make a very small amount of cheese using a normal recipe for a baseline and see the results, then adjust. Really, there's no way to know until you start working with your environment.

Tomer1

I'd wait till the coldest time of the year to do it, not now during the summer.

I remember some brazilian user posted pictures of the construction of his impressive cave\operation, maybe you can contact him for help - as he might do bulk orders.

luiscaraubas

Again, thanks linuxboy. Tommer1, i would appreciate so much if  you could give me the link of this brasilian guy?

Vina

Sailor Con Queso

You should check out Global Priority Mail. Great service to most countries and reasonably priced. Just $16.95 for up to 4 pounds from the USA to Brazil. Delivered in 6 to 10 days.

linuxboy

In my experience, priority mail to Brazil will often take a month, unless you're in Rio or Sao Paolo. Express Mail costs a bit more, but will get there faster. For cultures, might be worth the added cost.

luiscaraubas

I agree, Linuxboy, it's really worth it! Sailor and Vina, thank you very much for the great help. I'll take all the notes.