Author Topic: Gouda Trial and Error Begins  (Read 4242 times)

mjr522

Re: Gouda Trial and Error Begins
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »
Mary:

Thanks for response--very encouraging.  I'll keep the rest in the cave aging and look forward to trying it when it's a little more mature.

Boofer:

Yeah--hail.  Colorado Springs gets a fair amount of hail (at least it has in the time we've lived here).  I just planted these fruit trees last summer and learned this summer that the hail can turn a promising crop into garbage.  A fried of mine told me, after the hail of course, that netting to keep birds out is partially effective in reducing the damage caused by hail.  I had literally hundreds of tiny plums on my plumb tree at the beggining of the summer.  After a number of hailstorms, I now have 14 very purple plums, each with some dents.  The apples were similar--a lot to start with, very few left and all a little dented.

The gouda melts really well.  In fact, I just like to melt it (like most cheeses that will melt) on a plate and eat it with a fork.  My wife thinks I'm silly, but she's accustomed to it now.  I think this guy is destined to top some burgers tomorrow...