Bandage Wrapping Formed Cheese - Vs Waxing

Started by girlsrockmovie, March 01, 2009, 05:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeejayDebi

You can knock it down with a brush so it doesn't get real thick, but don't use a brine or anything like that. After awhile it will almost look like a canvas or something. Cheddar with a lard bandage has a very complex aged flavor like a 6 year old even when only a year old.

Gina

QuoteCheddar with a lard bandage has a very complex aged flavor like a 6 year old even when only a year old.
I know it's tradition that cheddars are bandaged, but do you think the same "complex aged flavor" can be achieved with other types of cheeses if bandaged?

The cheeses (parmesan and a dilly-Jack) I bandaged a couple weeks ago are showing no signs of mold, which sort of surprises me.

DeejayDebi

I don't believe I have ever seen green molds on parms but they will grow a white dusty mold (I forget what is called) but that tells you it's gonna be goood! An aged romano or Asiago will grow the same white mold.

wharris

IMHO, a parm that has an imperfect rind, will grow various moldies...

All of my parms that have had imperfect rinds, have had some kind of moldies grow on them. 

All of my parms with really good rinds, are free from mold.

When I get back home this weekend, i will take pictures of the differences i have.

DeejayDebi

Maybe because I polish my rinds with oil and they are silky and smooth. Now mind you they will grow on the lard for a few months but I've never had them on the cheese itself.

wharris

Ditto.  I polish my cheese regularly as well.

shut up carter.. I can hear you thinking of a response all the way down here in Houston.
;)

DeejayDebi

I think Wayne will agree that polishing really makes a difference when trying to combat mold. I light wipe with a damp cheesecloth soaked in brine works wonders on a smooth rind. Doesn't do diddly on a cracked lumpy rind.