I need cheese ideas!!!

Started by Mermaid, January 29, 2015, 02:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

I have raw jersey cow milk, lots of cheese form shapes, lots of equipment but no press. I don't want to skim my milk. I have made tomme, appenzeller , semi-lactic bloomy rind cheeses, and feta.

Any ideas?
High fat milk, no cheese press.

Thanks!

Al Lewis

Well you could try some tallegios or Epoisses but if you could afford the brandy to wash those you could probably afford a cheese press. LOL  Why not just build one.  The dutch press is a simple design and requires little in the way of tools.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

WovenMeadows

Honestly, the only thing I find I need a press for are cheddar types (colby, jack, farmhouse cheddar, etc). Anything else just stacking some dead weight is fine - most other types don't need more than 2x the weight of the cheese, and the largest a wheel someone at home would make is probably 7-8 pounds (from 7-8 gallons), so that's only 15 lbs needed. Of course, it can be hard to keep a weight well balanced so as not to make an uneven cheese...

Mermaid

What kinds of hard cheeses do people make that don't require skimming such a full fat milk, and don't require tons of pressing?

Stinky

Mm, you could go for Havarti, Jack, that sort of thing.

WovenMeadows

Really the only thing that comes to mind that you would really want/need to use skimmed milk are big-eyed "swiss" types, and grana types like Parmesan, and to an extent Alpine types. Most anything else just tastes better with more cream :)
I  have raw Jersey milk too, I make a lot of "washed curd" types, since my kids like the soft mild flavors. Gouda, Edam, Havarti, Colby, Jack. Or for my own preferences, alpine types like Gruyere. But I also try just about anything with the Jersey milk. Depending on the fat content too, you might be able to wind up with essentially a "double" Brie, because the fat can be high to begin with without even adding more cream.

OzzieCheese

Blues - Oh I would walk on broken glass for Jersey milk !  I've got a bit obsessed with Blues at the moment.  But no press cheeses - ST Paulin if you use the cloth sandwitched between two boards with a brick on top.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Mermaid

Wow thanks everyone for such great replies!

Frodage

Hey Mermaid, why not try this gorgonzola dolce? Fat OK, no press OK. I'm making my second go right now.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/GorgDolce.html

Andrew Marshallsay

It will make good camembert or brie.
- Andrew

Boofer

Quote from: Al Lewis on January 29, 2015, 01:55:35 PM
Why not just build one.  The dutch press is a simple design and requires little in the way of tools.
I'd agree with Al...so easy to just attach a long 2x4 to a garage stud and attach another smaller piece of wood near the end of that 2x4 to act as a ramrod/plunger/piston. For weight, hang a gallon jug filled with water on the end of the 2x4. Ta-da! A cheese press!  ;)

I know once upon a time that John (Webmaster) laid a ladder across his cheese mould to press it. See the pic.

My choices for sweet, whole-fat Jersey milk: Tomme, Montasio, Tilsit, Esrom, Saint Paulin, Reblochon. Yum!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Mermaid

Boofer- thank you for all those ideas and the photo of your press doo-dad. AC4U