Ring mould with strap

Started by AnnDee, October 29, 2016, 12:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregore

I have no idea what he is saying , but I think his mold is aluminum. It would be so easy to make these out of stainless steel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LAiWaw4IWeA

awakephd

Ughh - aluminum and cheese do not go together well in my experience. When I first started making cheese, just fresh cheeses, I used a stainless steel pot, but I unthinkingly used the aluminum colander that I already had. Even with cheesecloth lining the colander, I got a distinct metallic taste - fortunately faint, but definitely there. I bought a stainless colander, and the problem disappear. Absolutely no aluminum for me, from then on, anywhere involved in the cheese making process!
-- Andy

AnnDee

I agree with the aluminum bit...but if you use stainless steel it will probably make a good ring mould, it will be easy to clean too. Now I have no clue how am I going to make my wooden ring flexible enough, I'm planning to soak it today to test it. And I suppose I will boil it to sanitise.

awakephd

If you use it right after you boil it, it should be very flexible. But whether or how long it will stay that way ... that is the question!
-- Andy

AnnDee

So I finally used my wooden ring mould yesterday. I boiled it just before using, cool it down first of course. It was a little stiff, I think because it was new, but I managed to figure out how to tightened it. I think with time it will be more flexible.

Gregore

What did you think compared to,normal molds ?

AnnDee

I bought this primarily because I want the cheese to be not too thick (wider wheel) so during pressing I don't have to press so much to squeeze out the whey. And it did the job quite well, I am happy with it.  I am using it again today for another make of raclette, this ring needs some breaking into I think. Once it is flexible enough, I think I can also use this for brie.

Al Lewis

Should be great for emmentaler. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

AnnDee

Yes Al, I reckon this is good for a lot of Alpine cheeses :)

Gregore

I think I might look into making a stainless version of this , if the price for a roll of metal is reasonable

AnnDee

If it is successfull, please let me order few from you  ;D

AnnDee

FYI, I bought another wooden ring mould from europe (Netherlands) and it is so much more flexible and easy to handle. It is thinner wood but still strong to hold the curd. I highly recommend it.

Gregore

Do you have a link to the molds?

Thanks