Soy coconut “cheese”/ Wara

Started by Joyloy, October 14, 2018, 06:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyloy

Hi everybody!

I'm on a bit of a strange venture here- trying to develop a plant milk based cheese-like product that has good flavor and will melt! I'm a cheese maker at a small scale artisan style plant and I regularly make cows milk cheddar, Gouda, and Colby. I've got a lot of experimenting to do because I want this product to be up to some high flavor and texture standards.

After doing some research, the plan is to use a combination of soy and coconut milks for protein and fat, respectively. While exploring online, I came across information on a soy-coconut product made traditionally in Nigeria called Wara. I've also ordered some different plant based milk cultures because I'm hoping to acidify and flavor the product that way.

The questions I really still need answered are:
1. Is it a good idea to use a salt solution to coagulate the milk? I'm planning on using alum solution for the first batch but I'm worried the texture would be closer to tofu than to cheese if I did this. (Not sure if I can even really avoid that) And if not, what sort of solutions, enzymes might help me achieve a desired result? I've read about the successful use of ficin, bromelian, but have no idea where I'd be able to get some. Trying to achieve a decently firm curd that may withstand a traditional low and slow cooking process for the cultures.
2. Should I shoot for a traditional cook used in a cows milk cheese making process or should I try something completely different? I know the cultures need their time to bloom and reach a good pH level but I know the proteins in soymilk are so different that I might want to bloom the cultures before I add in any coagulant at all.
3. Does soymilk require high temps to coagulate with alum? Or can I denature the proteins at a high temp before I do anything and coagulate at a lower temp. I want to coagulate without killing off the cultures if at all possible.

Sorry if this is kind of disorganized- any insight or questions are appreciated! thanks!!

River Bottom Farm

I do t know anything about it but came across this old thread a while back. Hope it helps... https://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,7660.msg54804.html#msg54804

Joyloy

Thank you!! I think I stumbled into this a little while back. But what I'm taking from this is that I maybe shouldn't coagulate with alum at all, maybe try and drain it after I just thicken the milk blend with culture. I'm not sure I'll be satisfied with the texture that way, though!

Also ran into this: https://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,3738

Apparently I can also coagulate with alum at low temps, will probably try a small batch both ways and report back. Thank you, linuxboy and River Botttom Farm!

FooKayaks2

Hi Joyloy

You may want to look into regulations around residual Alum in food before you go to far down that path.

Good luck
Mathew