Wanted: Mini Jersey

Started by Minamyna, May 13, 2010, 09:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minamyna

Hello--

I have thinking about getting a mini jersey, but I haven't called anyone yet. I see most of them are $2500 and up. It seems like they are in high demand, is that true?

Anyways if anyone has info for me or a cow for sale (either milking or not) I would be interested. I don't have $2500 right this second to get one, but if someone had one for a little less or wanted to lease one out for feed and /or milk sharing I would be interested.

Also if anyone has one and can tell me how they like it that would be cool.

Thanks
Jenna

MrsKK

I don't have a cow for sale, nor do I know of any, but I can say that I really like handmilking my own cow.  I started out with her as a six week old heifer and am glad that I did start from the ground up.  That said, I have to also let you know that I am bulldog stubborn and won't give up until I figure it out - a good quality to have if you are starting out with a heifer that has never been milked before.

She's had two calves now and is raising her third foster calf.  I like to sharemilk with a calf so that I have a relief milker for times when I'm too exhausted or if I happen to get sick.  I went on a trip in early April for a week and the calf took care of milking for me.

I really enjoy handmilking, but I also enjoy her dry period so I can have a bit of a break.  I REALLY like the dairy products we are able to make from all of the rich goodness that is just there every day.

mtncheesemaker

Hi Jenna;
There are a couple of regular jerseys for sale in my neighborhood. I know my milk supplier has at least one for sale. I am in western Colorado, south of I-70, near Glenwood Springs.
PM me if you want more info.
Pam

BigCheese

Hi Jenna,

You seem a bit far from me (Northern CA) but we have Jerseys for sale. Before getting them we were looking into the mini market but found that if you just get a small Jersey, the difference from a "mini" is very little, except they are much cheaper. So now we keep small Jerseys. We breed them with our mini Zebu bull in order to make a smaller cow with good milk production, then sell them to families who could not handle a full Jersey amount of milk. Sounds like what your looking for. Of course the catch is that we have only had bulls by them so far  :P. Next calf is not due for 4.5 months. Hopefully a heifer!

Let me know if you happen to be interested despite the long distance.

Minamyna

Thanks Everyone! I am pretty interested in both situations. My idea with the mini jerseys is at least I could sell the babies for a good price!

What did you do with your bull calves?

BigCheese

Well, actually we are vegetarians and never slaughter our animals. So we keep the bulls or sell them to like-minded individuals.

Minamyna

Why did you choose zebu? Does it have anythign to do with not planning on eating them?