Rennet, Tablets - Do They Ever Really Dissolve?

Started by chilipepper, December 15, 2008, 05:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chilipepper

The ones that come with the kits from Cheesemaking.com??  When I add them to a 1/4 cup of water they break up nicely but never dissolve.  Just for kicks I put one in a cup of water on my magnetic stir plate and let it run all night and when I shut it off this morning it still quickly settled out to a white film on the bottom.   Is this normal and should I just use it when it has broken down into the fine particles?

From a purely technical point it doesn't seem like it would work that well since it obviously wouldn't dissolve into the milk either?  Luckily I have some of the Malaka liquid vegetarian stuff and so I've been using that with good results but as Cheese Head points out it is a fairly expensive alternative. 

Thanks for any advice!
Ryan

bundy

Hi Ryan i crush my tablet between two spoons before adding to the water,this helps to dissolve.
Bundy

Tea

When I used to use junket tablets, I found that this also happened.  I also used to wonder if it was all dissolved or whether some was lost, especially when I could see some white flecks sitting on the milk curd.
In the end I chose to use liquid rennet, as I am not really certain that the tablet do all get utilized and dissolve.
Sorry I can't be of any further help.  Maybe someone else knows the answer.

chilipepper

Thanks for the thoughts... I'll try and post some pictures of what I'm experiencing and the different 'stages' of the Rennet.   bundy is your rennet - water mixture still cloudy when you add it to your milk or is it clear and totally dissolved?

bundy

clear, just a few flex of rennet in the bottom of my mixing jug
Bundy

Cheese Head

Maybe what's not dissolving is a filler and not the rennet?

I'm now using commercial CHR Hansen brand powdered Rennet I bought on EBay USA and it 100% dissolves.

chilipepper

Cheese Head that is a very good point... maybe just a filler because I'm not sure I'd ever get this to totally dissolve.  Here is a little photo compilation I put together from start to approximately 30 hours of stirring on the plate.  I sacrificed a rennet tablet for the pictures since I had the one on the stir plate since yesterday.

Tablets and water before adding.

Here is the tablet after about 30 seconds - very quickly breaks up and looks like it will work like a charm.  (definately should have taken this picture against a less busy background!)

Stir bar added and on the stir plate - still some larger chunks

Here is the product of about 30 hours of stirring - still cloudy and will easily seperate to a clear liquid and chalky film on the bottom of cup.

chilipepper

Cheese Head - Do you know of any other sources for that Hansen Rennet?  I've checked the user you brought from on Ebay and he must not be a regular seller of Rennet or at least is not listing anything now.  It looks very interesting and certainly could be worth the trouble. I wonder the advantages versus liquid?  Shelf life maybe?

Cheese Head

Chili, I guess if it works then good, just that unwanted non-disolving powder.

Nope sorry don't know where else to get it. It looks like it was a semi-commercial product as 1 package was good for 75 liters. Liquid with eyedropper is definitely easier to measure, concentrated powder is very difficult to measure tiny quantities for 1-3 US gallon / 4-10 liter milk batches.

I initially used Malaki brand liquid I found in Whole Foods Grocery store chain. Maybe it's time to order bunch of stuff from an on line cheese supply store?

chilipepper

Just a quick update on this thread.... I had the rennet on the stir plate for 72 hours and it never did dissolve into the distilled water. Couple of nuggets of knowledge I gained...

1. The rennet never does dissolve totally intot he liquid.  After about 30 minutes on the stir plate the suspended particles became very fine and at which time I would conclude the rennet table was 'usable'.

2. Liquid rennet is easier! :D

3. I will try these on a future batch and see how well they work on the milk and see if there are any comparible difference to the current liquid rennet I'm using.