Author Topic: Keeping track of your cheese tasks - software  (Read 7466 times)

leboy001

Keeping track of your cheese tasks - software
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »
So i have been looking out on here for how people keep track of all the turnings and wiping and all the other things cheese making demands. And because I'm useless at keeping up with note books and other systems like that . . . so i have been looking for some sort of software, one that does need me to keep updating it. And i think i have found something useful and thought i would share it with all you guys

It is a web based programme called Todoist.

http://todoist.com/

Is great. This is how i use it. I set up "project" with the name of the cheese i am making. Then under that project i add all the tasks that that cheese requires. You can set it up to say "turn cheese every Monday starting 6/11 for 4 months" and then every Monday it will automatically remind you that you need to turn your cheese.

You can sync it to your gmail and smart phone as well.

I have only just started using it, but I'm really liking it and have 6 cheese types on the go and have plans to add several more.http://

becky.clubs@gmail.com

Re: Keeping track of your cheese tasks - software
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:20:20 PM »
gmail has a Google Tasks feature that lets you have different task lists (ie cheeses), you can assign due dates and times, it will also show up on your Google Calendar.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 06:03:05 AM »
Its funny you mention it,
I was not going to post about this until I had a release candidate but I am actually working on writing a piece of software right now specifically designed for both brewing and cheese. I am writing it in Java (I work as a Java developer for a living) so it will work in any OS which supports the jre. I will likely put together a web based component as well which interfaces with my server and allows you to back up your data or access it elsewhere (as well as a couple of other web based gems.... ah, the power of SOAP. I have considered just converting the entire thing to a web-based server application that you log into- any thoughts anyone?
Anyway, like I said it is a little ways out (to be honest, I have a couple of projects ahead of it in line so it is kind of on the back burner right now but progress is happening) but its going to be pretty sweet. It will support all of the features you mention here plus a lot more.

I'll mention more down the road.

If you have any feature requests, I am all ears!

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:04:06 AM »
gmail has a Google Tasks feature that lets you have different task lists (ie cheeses), you can assign due dates and times, it will also show up on your Google Calendar.

Yeah, I love google tasks! If you have an android phone too, you are totally golden!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »
Yeah, but when do you have time to actually make cheese? Ohh, my head is spinning.... :-\

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 12:53:52 AM »
Yeah, but when do you have time to actually make cheese? Ohh, my head is spinning.... :-\

-Boofer-

How much time is spent during the cheese making process is spent sitting around waiting for pH and temp targets? Hours sometimes? That is golden coding time! When I made that brie last week, I hammered out 2 sections in a book on logic.

(Now, how much time is spent standing in front of the stove stirring curds or ladling whey...)

leboy001

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
Would be great if the program could save recipes templates so you could save the timings for each cheese you make so next time you can just load up the cheddar or what ever profile you made last time and it updates all the timings for you in one go

leboy001

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 02:37:08 AM »
P.S. AWESOME that you are working on this. Cant wait to hear about updates and stuff and if you need a tester count me in

hoeklijn

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »
Mmm, I'm afraid you're two steps ahead of me. I'm busy with a Delphi version of something similar  ^-^,,,

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 07:31:48 PM »
Mmm, I'm afraid you're two steps ahead of me. I'm busy with a Delphi version of something similar  ^-^,,,

Great minds think alike ;)

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 04:58:24 AM »
Sooooo... with regard to your makes and recipes, what format do you record them in? For instance:

<Insert title here...>

<Ingredients title here>
blah
blah
blah

<Steps title here>
<step 1>
<step 2>
<step 3>

?

hoeklijn

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 10:24:09 AM »
yes, something like that in plain xml-files. Didn't find time to work on it for quite a while....

bbracken677

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 02:53:58 PM »
I try to include a target section as well...for pH targets at various stages.

Ingredients:
3 etc

Targets;
pH at rennet:
pH at drain etc etc

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 04:53:17 PM »
yes, something like that in plain xml-files. Didn't find time to work on it for quite a while....

Do you mean you keep your recipes in XML format now or that is the design strategy of your dephi program?

[Edit]
Oh, ok, I see how my post was kind of in xmlish format. My question was meant to be more general. I had assumed most people were recording their makes in plain text or something.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:03:14 PM by mightyMouse.tar.gz »

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 05:05:23 PM »
I try to include a target section as well...for pH targets at various stages.

Ingredients:
3 etc

Targets;
pH at rennet:
pH at drain etc etc

Would it be better for those to be in a separate section on included in the steps? For instance

Step 154: laddle curds into the forming mould.
pH: _________________ (Target: 2.67)