Author Topic: Mozzarella, Goat, Raw - Color Off White  (Read 1578 times)

billmac

Mozzarella, Goat, Raw - Color Off White
« on: August 24, 2011, 12:31:55 PM »
Hello.  New to the forum and cheesemaking.

I have been making mozzarella from my fresh, raw goat's milk using the "30 minute" method.  90 deg, citric acid, lipase, rennet, cut curd, 105 deg, drain, microwave, stretch, mold.  I'm sure you guys know the routine.

It is turning out fine.  Better, more flavorful since I started using lipase.

But it isn't that creamy white that I've seen for mozzarella.   Am I doing something wrong, or not doing something?  It is kind of off white, kind of like commercial cheese-curd.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Fatman

Re: Mozzarella, Goat, Raw - Color Off White
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:44:22 PM »
It sounds like you've made a terrible mistake.
You probably should ship this defective cheese to me immediately for proper disposal. >:D

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:41:43 PM »
I don't know how you can make a cheese whiter. It may just be from the color of your milk. I would personally not worry about it if it tastes good.

Jaspar

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:49:09 PM »
   I use raw cows milk and my Mozz is always a light yellow or cream colored, but that's with cows milk.
 As I ponder why they call it cream colored, hmmmm........ My feta turns a slight off white using fresh goats milk.

Jaspar

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 11:25:47 PM »
Sorry, don't know the colour of commercial curds but off white is not a problem, maybe it's your milkfat % or something that the goats were eating.

Here's a thread on yellowish cheese from high milkfat % cow milk.

billmac

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 01:12:58 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  It certainly is shiny white when it is first made, and molded.  But turns off-white as it cools.

I have thought the last few times though that my whey is far too white, like there are still too many milk solids in the whey.  I don't get a very good solid mass of curd after the rennet has set.  More like an amorphous glob at the bottom of the pot.   The cheese turns out ok but I'm wondering if heat or acidity is off.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 01:17:37 PM »
Have you tried making mozz with the culture method? I think it gives a tastier cheese.
Also, maybe your cheese is just oxidizing. Do you put it into brine after stretching?
Pam

billmac

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 12:46:22 PM »
Can you point me to a good source for the culture method?

No, I don't brine it.  Just let it cool in the fridge.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
Here is the definitive discussion on mozz. (Although there are many under this topic.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:22:27 PM by mtncheesemaker(Pam) »