Author Topic: stilton recipe  (Read 1963 times)

bruce2288

stilton recipe
« on: August 01, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
Could someone recommend a good recipe for a Stilton type cheese?  I have found the use of aroma B or Flora Danica or MM4002.  Recomendations with a link or where to find the recipe would be greatly appreciated.  thanks

linuxboy

Re: stilton recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »
On my wacheese.com site is a good approximation.

bruce2288

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:20:23 PM »
DThank you.  One more question I know there will be a larger volume of curd than many types and I notice that the molds used tend to be taller than the diameter.  I assume this is to use the cheese weight as the press. For 4 gallon of milk what size diameter mold would you suggest and approx. how tall will it have to be.  I will be makeing it out of PVC

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:43:03 PM »
I like a 5" diameter. 4 works, but becomes a tad too tall for 4 gallons. 6" also works, but then you need 5+ gallons. You're right in the middle. Maybe make two 4" diameter wheels... cut the cheese in half? It will dry out a tad more that way, and you will have more rind, but will still be good.

bruce2288

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »
Thanks linuxboy.  I will see what I can buy.  I knew I didn't want a stove pipe or a frizbee.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
Thanks linuxboy.  I will see what I can buy.  I knew I didn't want a stove pipe or a frizbee.
You might PM member iratherfly who has some nice moulds at reasonable costs. Here's a link of some moulds I have gotten from him that work fairly well for my Fourme d'Ambert. Perhaps it would be an acceptable form factor for a Stilton as well.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.