Author Topic: Vanilla yogurt  (Read 3278 times)

keepitlow

Vanilla yogurt
« on: March 21, 2009, 02:04:53 PM »

Anyone make Vanilla yogurt? What recipe did you use? Is the yogurt starter still good for future use if taken from the homemade vanilla yogurt?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Vanilla yogurt
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 05:37:12 AM »
It is best to save a few spoons full of plain yogurt before you add flavors to it for you next batch.

I just add a teaspoon of vanila to a 1 gallon batch for a hint of vanila for sweetness. Cinnamin goes good with vanila too.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »
keepitlow, as Debi, best to conserve a little of non-flavoured yogurt, that said I have read of people using flavoured yogurt as starter and it worked fine. FYI, I now just buy a plain store bought non-flavoured yogurt just for starter, lasts 3 weeks and keeps the culture more pure.

keepitlow

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 12:55:44 PM »
Thanks. About how much sugar do you use per gallon of batch?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:50:14 PM »
I never use sugar in my yogurt. If you use flavorings like chopped or mashed fruits you might add a bit of sugar or honey to those that are pretty tart like berries. I just go by taste maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of honey for an pint of berries but I don't like them really sweet. Just add little bits at a time until it taste good to you.

I really love to use over ripe mango or peaches they need no sweetenter at all.

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 01:34:13 PM »
I use between 1 to 1-1/2 cups of sugar per gallon of milk when I make yogurt.  I also add a teaspoon of vanilla as I like vanilla yogurt on its own.

I just posted my yogurt making method on John's yogurt making thread here:  http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,943.new.html#new

Just in case anyone is interested.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 11:04:10 PM »
Man that's got to be sweet stuff! I'm also not a big fan of sweet. Love tart though. I am hypogylcemic so I avoid alot of sugar - gives me a rush then I want to fall asleep. But then so do potatoes but I still eat those!