Author Topic: Design your own Cheddar flavour: Danisco's Flavour chart  (Read 4456 times)

Spoons

Design your own Cheddar flavour: Danisco's Flavour chart
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:40:26 PM »
I found a very useful PDF where you can "design" your cheddar's taste profile. I've been looking for Parm-cheddar hybrid cheese that is particularly sharp and sweet (like a Dubliner or Bellavitano) and this PDF gives some straight forward indications on how to accomplish this.

This is also probably good for other cheeses as long as they have a chance to age I suppose.

Anyone know where to buy Accelase enzyme?  I would assume the milk addition ones are lipase but The salt addition ones, do they have the same effect as lipase ? Those other adjunct cultures aren't common either, but I've found a few.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:45:38 PM by Spoons »

Geodyne

Re: Design your own Cheddar flavour: Danisco's Flavour chart
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »
That's awesome. And I'd like to know the answer to your question as well!!

I'm a bit worried by the name accelase though. I know some cheese manufacturers add enzymes to speed ripening, and the term "accelase" is very close to "accelerate".

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 08:10:35 AM »
Thanks for that.
I haven't done a cheddar yet but it's on the list and this looks really interesting.
Unearthing information like this and sharing it around has got to be worth a cheese.

- Andrew
- Andrew

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »
That's awesome. And I'd like to know the answer to your question as well!!

I'm a bit worried by the name accelase though. I know some cheese manufacturers add enzymes to speed ripening, and the term "accelase" is very close to "accelerate".

They say it's all natural. ;)

Accelase: A mixture of enzymes which hydrolyse proteins, used to shorten the maturation time of cheeses and intensify the flavour of processed cheese.

Complex systems comprising protease, peptidase and lipase enzymes give cheese flavor pathways an effective boost.

A mixture of enzymes which hydrolyse proteins, including an exopeptidase from the bacterium Streptococcus lactis, which is one of the starter organisms in dairy processing. The mixed enzymes are used to shorten the maturation time of cheeses and intensify the flavour of processed cheese.

JimSteel

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »
I find the Science behind this very fascinating.  The idea of isolating specific strains for the qualities they provide to a cheese.  I wonder how far they have taken this.  Is their Lactobacillus plantarum, for example, bred and specialized to provide different or more potent result than that of another lactobacillus plantarum?  I've seen what science has done with tomatoes and the hundreds of varieties out there.  I can only imagine what it could do with an organism that goes through hundreds of generations per day....

The whole concepts seems very "American" to me though.  Making a system that emphasizes speed, convenience and artificial enhancements.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »
I thought I might share Pav's recommendation to me for a cheddar make...

Rennet at 6.55 (ripening should be about 45 mins for this, maybe a bit more)
Drain 6.3
Mill 5.5
Salt 5.4

For 100 lbs milk:

6 DCU MM100 or one of the RA 20 series.

2 DCU MD88/89

1 DCU LM57

1 DCU AlpD or LH100

This is for a fast make, should be millable in 3-4 hrs. Time to floc target should be ~10 ish minutes. This is for a cheddar ready in 4-6 months. Target moisture should be around 39%, so floc of 3x-3.5 and regular pea-sized (3/8”) curd.

Susan

Spoons

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 01:02:27 AM »
That's an interesting mix, Scasnerkay. I wrote it down on my to-do list. Thx!! Right now though, I'm really looking forward in trying to replicate a Dubliner cheese. After reading that brochure, I'll try MA011 + FLAV 54. Yep, the furthest on the "sweet" chart. I ordered the FLAV 54 yesterday.

elkato

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 03:36:51 PM »
Remember that Adjunct(secondary) cultures are just for flavour enhancement, (very small change) you still need your primary acidification cultures, specially in a Cheddar that needs a big drop in PH (and fast so you don't spend all day waiting during the cheddaring)
RA series are very good for this
MD88 (specific for Italian cheeses will make it taste like a Parm) So Pav´s recipe looks very interesting (as always) for a Bellavitano copy
All the big cheese culture companies are coming up with flavour adjuncts but I see it more towards commercial factories, not so much for artisan makers like us that can rely on premium grass fed milk + love +time to make great cheese (I missed good mix of primary cultures)
best regards
Luis.

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 06:28:12 PM »
I know this topic is 8 years old.... and the link to Danisco's flavour chart is defunct.... but does anyone have a copy of that .pdf or can point me to where I can get it, please?....  ???

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 12:55:25 AM »
Danisco used to have all that kind of thing linked prominently on their website.  It's all gone now :-(  They also seem to be pushing their parent company, Dupont, brand much more forward.  Previously you'd have a had time knowing that Danisco was actually Dupont.  That's a real shame.  There was tons of great stuff on there.  I've been moving away from Danisco lately and no longer buy their products.  I'm starting to feel I made the right choice...

Hope you find that document!  It's weird that it's no longer attached.

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 06:17:09 PM »

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 04:52:26 AM »
That looks like what was described.... Here is the chart from it showing the range of flavour profiles for the various Danisco adjunct cultures....

Thank you so much, paulabob.... Great information.... AC4U....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 06:07:34 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I'd love to buy some Flav54, but it costs so much money!