Author Topic: Fluffy Feta  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
Fluffy Feta
« on: March 09, 2015, 01:37:29 PM »
Generally speaking the feta I've been making from "Artisan Cheese at Home" has been quite good and consistent; with one exception.

The recipe calls for the Aroma B to be added at 86F and that temp maintained for an hour, then cut and stir the curds for 20 min still maintaining 86F. However, it said that if a firmer cheese was desired the temp could be increased up to 92F while stirring the curds.

Here's what actually happened. I overshot the target temp and time (note to self: don't drink beer and play video games while waiting for the cheese) and the Aroma B spent 1.5 hours at 89-90F. I cut the curds and stirred, but once again over shot the target temp (96-98F). Everything seemed to normal, so I ladled the curds into a cloth and hung it to drain overnight as I usually do. But in the morning I ended up with a very soft spongy result.

Also, I should mention that this was made from raw goat's milk.

So did any of these accidents play a role in this? Or is this from something else?

cindybman

Re: Fluffy Feta
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 03:21:06 AM »
Unfortunately, I cannot help you at all as I'm really new to the game.  However, I look forward to reading people's advice.

I, too, will learn from your mistake as I'm guilty of it as well (beer & games).

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 03:28:51 AM »
Does it seem all right to you apart from the texture?

it could be a pathogen but dont freak out

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 05:25:21 AM »
Oh gassy curds... yeah .. I'd feed these to the pigs if I were you.  it is a contamination issue Stinky is correct don't freak out we've all had it - and yes even from store bought pasteurised milk.

-- Mal
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:52:35 AM by OzzieCheese »
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 05:26:11 AM »
My failing is reading and cheese making - been caught like that as well  8)
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 02:06:33 PM »
So is this from the milk being contaminated or from my tools being contaminated, or no way to know? If it's from my tools, I'll tighten up my equipment sterilization habits. Otherwise I guess I'll just expect it to happen from time to time when working with raw milk?

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 02:58:30 PM »
It's the milk.

And calling it a pathogen is not fair, to be honest. But there seems like there could be one behind every problem.  ;)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 03:44:42 AM »
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the Only Way to Be Sure... love that film !

I'd still bleach bomb the works... if you trust your milk supplier, clean and try again otherwise you might have to batch pasteurise the milk.

-- Mal :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:50:50 AM by OzzieCheese »