Author Topic: Hello from Wisconsin  (Read 1024 times)

eschmid

Hello from Wisconsin
« on: March 17, 2015, 07:04:54 AM »
My name is Eric and I'm from Wisconsin. Green county to be exact. I currently work at a cheese factory and am looking to become a cheesemaker there, just earning my stripes right now as a sanitation supervisor and learning with cheesemakers at the end of day production and early morning startup.  Im really interested in the artisan side of the business and have been looking into starting to make at home as well. I look forward to talking with you all and learning. Thank you!
-Eric

qdog1955

Re: Hello from Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 09:08:24 AM »
Eric----welcome to the forum-----I was under the impression that if you live in Wisconsin, you were automatically a cheese maker :)
  Sounds like you can give us some first hand insight and that's always interesting. Once again welcome.
Qdog

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »
Welcome Eric!  Always glad to have new people here, especially those in the trade. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 05:54:11 PM »
Welcome!  ;D

Kern

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 06:23:42 PM »
Eric----welcome to the forum-----I was under the impression that if you live in Wisconsin, you were automatically a cheese maker :)

Qdog, if you were a Packers fan you'd know that it is "Cheesehead", not cheese maker.  At any rate, welcome Eric, and be sure to share any tidbits you pick up at work.

eschmid

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 06:54:20 AM »
Thanks. I would like to get my start on cheddar since I am familiar with the cheddaring process already.  I would like to end up doing a white cheddar with a stout or porter from the local brewery (new glarus brewing company if there are any beer aficionados here.) I've worked at 3 cheese factories.  The first one I worked at they made feta cheese which was completely automated,  the second was a Mexican cheese plant where they made queso chihuahua which is a melting cheese which is fairly good. We actually won a world championship title in 2014 for it. And the company I work at now we make Cheddars, Monterey jack, gouda, edam, havarti, gallego. A lot of variety and a lot of opportunities to learn. the  company actually just sent me to a short course for milk process control and pasteurization. I am really interested in learning how the different cultures create the different flavor profiles and how milk quality effects the cheesemaking process. I really do look forward to start doing home cheesemaking but I do have to get some supplies in order. The only thing I'm worried about is trying to get a hold of a cheese press or just trying to fabricate one myself. Sorry for the long post but thank you guys for the warm welcome.

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »
Here are things you might want to look at for getting supplies.