Author Topic: New compact, compound-lever, selectable MA press  (Read 39580 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
New compact, compound-lever, selectable MA press
« on: April 06, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »
I've been working on a design for a new cheese press. My old press, the first one I made, has served me well for the past 16 months, but it only allowed me to go up to 150 lbs. of press, which was plenty for the smaller, 2-gallon, 4.5" diameter cheeses I started out making, but has been a bit too little for some of the larger, 4-gallon-and-up, 8" diameter cheeses I've been making lately, especially in hard-to-press varieties such as cheddar.

I have a prototype of a press that John@perfect-cheese.com has been working on which allows for substantially greater force by way of a pulley system (approximately 6x mechanical advantage). It is a light, elegant design which can be assembled and disassembled easily without tools, and it works very well. Likewise, Smolt1 (http://sturdypress.com) has two lovely designs, one that offers selectable 5x or 9x mechanical advantage, with a design max of 350 lbs (though it can go higher), and one that can fold up for storage, with a design max of 200 lbs (though again, it can go higher). All three of these presses are designed to accept weights that hang from the main lever, though either of Smolt's designs could be modified to accept weights affixed directly to the levers.

As elegant and useful as all three of these designs are, they are not ideal for my particular situation. I need my press to stay in place on top of my cheese "cave," both for storage and during use. That means the entire press cannot be wider than 18", it cannot be clamped down, and it does not lend itself to hanging the weight. (It also means there has to be enough height on the base that I can set a bowl to catch the whey that presses out, but that is a minor matter.) Ideally, therefore, I want something that can accept weights directly on the arm of the press (I use weights from my weight machine) and that can select from low to very high mechanical advantage without having a lever extending out beyond the footprint of the base of the press (and therefore does not need to be clamped down or have a counter-balancing weight extending behind).

Inspired in part by a picture seen here on the forum -- unfortunately I can't seem to find the thread to link to -- I have come up with my own version of a compound lever press, one which adds selectable mechanical advantage (2x, 8x, 13x, 24x). I've included pictures below. The first picture is the picture I copied from the forum of the press that started my thinking. Following are a couple of pictures of the assembled press. As shown it is in the 8x configuration; to increase the MA, the vertical "arm" that connects the main and secondary levers is moved to either of the holes closer to the upright. Following that are several pictures of the frame and the parts, including a couple of close-ups of the acme screw and nut -- the first time I've machined one of those, so I was quite pleased with how it came out. Finally there are a couple of shots of the press in the 2x configuration.

I've also attached the plans. I've put a copyright notice on them, just because, but frankly I don't think this press would be commercially viable to produce. As you can see from the plans and the pictures, there are a LOT of parts, including at least one metal part (the nut) that would have to be custom-made (the screw could be bought off-the-shelf for a reasonable price). Thus, the selling price would have to be many hundreds of $$ to make it worthwhile as a commercial enterprise ... and I just can't imagine there are enough people who would be willing to pay the high price for this press. But if any of you feel inspired to make your own, have at it!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:30:54 PM by awakephd »
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: New compact, compound-lever, selectable MA press
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 06:37:44 PM »
Very nice Andy but I doubt the average person on here has the means to cut an acme thread.  Looks expensive!  AC4U for excellence in designing and building! ;)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 06:47:21 PM »
Thanks! As I said, not a commercially viable design. :)

It is possible to get an acme screw and nut for not unreasonable money, e.g. here: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=31134&cat=1,41659. Problem is that that is a bit short (only 13" long), and the nut would have to be modified somehow. (This one may also be a left-handed thread, which is good for its intended use in a shoulder vise, but not ideal for the cheese press.) Alternately, one can get any length of acme threaded rod from various sources for not unreasonable money ... but again, the problem is the nut.

So, bottom line: if you want to make one of these, and don't have a machine shop in your garage ... try to find a machinist who really, really likes cheese!

By the way, I looked at making the design using a wooden ram. It is doable ... but the problem is that in the highest MA, the ram only moves about 1/2" total for the full swing (approx. 12") of the main lever. Assuming holes in the ram spaced at 1" (any closer than that would probably not be strong enough), one would have to use some sort of stacking spacer. It just seemed like it would be too difficult to use in practice, so I went with the screw.
-- Andy

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 06:51:39 PM »
That is a beauty. Did you know that thinking that hard can cause smoke to exhaust from your ears. ;D

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 06:55:48 PM »
You know if you extended the length of the nut you could make both the nut and screw out of a good hardwood.

qdog1955

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 08:10:18 PM »
Andy----have you considered forgetting about the acme thread and nut and using a standard threaded rod and a split nut----since the main purpose of acme thread is quick movement---and nothing quicker then a split nut. This is a real nice design----well thought out---well executed.
Qdog

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 09:10:13 PM »
Al and Qdog, both good suggestions.

I did give thought to a hardwood screw; a couple of reasons decided me against it. One is that I felt I would need at least a 1.5" diameter screw in hardwood, and correspondingly I thought I would probably need the nut to be at least 1" larger in width than the diameter, to give a minimum of 1/2" of "meat" in the side walls. To be honest, these figures are just based on TLAR engineering (TLAR = That Looks About Right :)) -- but if they are in the right ball park, that means the nut is going to be 2.5" wide. That then requires the two sides of the secondary lever to be spread that far apart, which means that the vertical "arms" that connect the secondary lever to the frame and to the main lever have to be 2.5" thick as well (or else have spacers). And then the upper part of the frame has to be spread that far apart, requiring more bulk to the uprights, and the sides of the main lever have to be spread. Plus, I think I would want the two "ears" on the nut (which allow the nut to pivot in the secondary lever) to be 1" in diameter (again, TLAR), so that means the width of the secondary lever would have to be increased from 2" to 3", and ... well, you get the picture. This is starting to get bulky, and I only have so much hard maple on hand, so I decided not to go with a hardwood screw.

I didn't give a lot of thought to a split nut, primarily because my initial musing didn't reveal any easy way to mount it or contain it as needed in the press. The key is the need for the nut to swivel in the secondary lever, or rather for the secondary lever to swivel around the nut as it moves through the range of motion. I may just not have thought of an obvious solution ...

Okay, those are the logical reasons. But the real reason? In addition to cheese making, I also count woodworking and metal working among my hobbies, and this gave me a chance to try out cutting an acme thread and nut. What more excuse could I possibly need? :)
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 09:19:20 PM »
NOT the most fun of jobs but I see you point.  BTW  American white oak has a tensile strength of 770 PSI so it may surprise you.  You could use a hardening agent on the wood to make the operation smooth.  Did you cheat and use an acme insert for the threads or grind one up yourself?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 09:28:40 PM »
Insert? Heaven forbid -- we don't need no stinkin' inserts! :)

My old Cincinnati TrayTop is probably better suited to HSS than to carbide ... though since I hardly ever use carbide, I suppose I don't really know that!
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 09:34:37 PM »
We have all of the acme thread inserts here for the CNCs but the apprentices are required to grind HSS to cut theirs. >:D  Come to think of it, this may just make a good apprentice project. LOL

Kern

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 10:47:24 PM »
Very elegant, Dr. Awake.  A cheese from me!   ;D

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 11:06:39 PM »
Looking at IMG-4278, it looks like you glued the corners. That will make sure that your rectangular frame won't become a rhombus under the torque from the plunger pushing on the base. It's easy to think that when you only have 10 lbs hanging on the lever that the forces are not too great, but at your high MA that is 240 lbs trying to distort the frame.

Do you have much friction where the plunger goes through the 2 metal guides, because that seems to be my biggest problem in designing a smooth working press.

When you do a large Cheddar it will be interesting to see if the last high weight press will require a reset or if the small amount of compression remaining will make it at MA=24.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 11:54:14 PM »
Yes, glued and draw-bore pegged. I also pegged the ends of the base (where the ends are just in a rabbet rather than a dado). I am a bit concerned about how well the frame will handle higher pressures, not only these joints at the top, but also the joints where the uprights are joined to the base -- these are glued and also screwed from the inside. The first opportunity to test it on cheese will be this weekend, but I hope to do some accuracy testing tonight, and that may also give me a sense of how well it handles stress -- if I start to hear ominous cracking sounds, well ...

I spent a good bit of time thinking through the design of the guide. It actually consists of three pieces, not just two; in picture 4275 you can see the middle piece already joined to the bottom piece (lower right corner), with the top piece lying next to it. I machined these in such a way that they join together to form what is effectively a single metal guide that is 2.5" in length with only about .001" clearance in the bore. (And yes, as a home-shop/hobby machinist, I was quite proud of myself for machining this precisely enough to repeat the clearance of the bore even after disassembling and reassembling, though of course modesty prevents me from telling you this. :)) This provides a lovely, smooth sliding fit with almost no play -- at least in preliminary trials. Again, I'm anxious to see how it performs in actual use; this will be especially important since the screw threads offer an inherent opportunity for friction.

I finished all of the wood with plain mineral oil, standard practice for food-safe wooden articles. Conveniently, that also provides some lubrication and protection for the metal bits.

Hoping for cheddar on Saturday ...
-- Andy

qdog1955

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
Andy ----if that's your first acme thread----your one heck of a hobby machinist!!!

Al----thought you were a Navy man?  I would think Lignum Vitae would be your wood of choice? ;)
Qdog

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 01:05:09 PM »
Although I work on the naval nuclear fleet now I retired from the Air Force in 1996. LOL