Author Topic: Cheddar - What cultures to use?  (Read 9060 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Cheddar - What cultures to use?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 02:20:05 AM »
@Shane - nice knit -  a grand looking cheese.  Cloth Bandage and leave it for 12 months - if you can :)  You've done the hard work.  Looks good.  I'm on a cheddar a month plan and by Chrismas will have a rolling stock by then. 

A cheese I feel is required :)

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 02:29:59 AM »
Thanks very much Mal. I've been analysing your last make sheet and banding thread for this one. Thanks for providing such detailed information. I will try and be patient to take this one out to 12 months.

I do have one question relating the bandaging. Does a bandaged cheese require the same high humidity as one with a natural rind? I was planning on putting it in its own ripening box, but thought I'd check. My fridge when operating is a tad savage on lowering the humidity. I do have a few fingers and humidity controller in there, but I think the size of the fridge is beyond what my system can control.

Thanks.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 02:54:23 AM »
I wouldn't be too concerned with the humidity if you have wrapped it..  From what I've seen you get a gas exchange and very little moisture is lost and over 12 months I don't think you would notice. As long as you have pressed long enough and let air dry you shouldn't get moisture coming out of the cheese.  If you use at least 3 layers I also wouldn't be too concerned about the odd patch of mould either.  You will get some but 90% of it peels off with the layers. Just as insurance I wipe the surface vinegar - just to knock off any surface mould - but not too wet.  If you get mould and you are unhappy with it you can always unwrap the cheese, clean it down and re-do it   

-- Mal 
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 03:07:32 AM »
Thanks. I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Shane

Kern

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 04:53:29 AM »
Shane, what a great looking cheddar.  Certainly worth a cheese from me.   :)

Kern

shaneb

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 06:04:45 AM »
Thanks Kern.

Shane

shaneb

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 11:41:08 PM »
I wrapped the cheese this morning. There were some surface cracks, so I thought I'd better get a move on. I lightly applied cider vinegar to all faces prior to wrapping. The wrapping process seemed quite therapeutic.  :)

Below is a photo just prior to me putting in the cave. I hope to age it out to 12 months.

Thanks all for your help

Shane

John@PC

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 12:08:34 AM »
Shane, I have 4/28/2016 marked on my calendar (and a cheese to you in anticipation). 

shaneb

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 12:16:14 AM »
Thanks very much John.  :D

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 05:35:24 AM »
Excellent !!  remenber don't get freaked if you see mould - you will get some cant stop it.  I'll send you photos of mine later but tha=ey do get a bit funky looking...

It really is a good hands on exercise...

_ A cheese for yee.

-- Mal

shaneb

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 06:20:25 AM »
Thanks Mal. I won't be to shocked. I have seen some photos of them. Does the lard dry out to the point where handling is easier?

Shane

shaneb

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 02:25:36 AM »
The lard is starting to dry out a bit. It makes handling a lot easier. Here is an updated photo.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 03:28:11 AM »
Ojh that looks wonderful - A deserved cheese !!

--Mal

shaneb

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »
Thanks Mal. I'm keen to see how it stands up to the lowish humidity in my cave. If it goes okay I think I'll be doing a lot more bandaged cheddars.  :) What other cheeses go okay bandaged?

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 04:25:42 AM »
Well, anything really... Caerphilly does really well - I've done it once early on but I didn't think it warrented the work for a short ripening process.  I've heard that Gouda also works really well, really anything you would wax you could bandage.   One thing I might try is Bees wax impregnated cloth but @ $15-20 Kg and the higher handeling temperature might put a stop to that..

-- Mal