Author Topic: shape of curds visible inside the rind on Jack cheese  (Read 734 times)

BobbieGee

shape of curds visible inside the rind on Jack cheese
« on: June 06, 2015, 05:40:07 PM »
Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I've made two batches of Jack cheese using the recipe in "Mastering Artisan Cheese Making" by Caldwell.
--2 gallons raw goats milk
--1/8 tsp calcium chloride
--1/4 tsp liquid rennet
--3 pounds pressure for one hour
--10 pounds for 12 hours

The cheeses dried nicely and formed a closed rind. However, I can see the shapes of the curds underneath the rind.

I'm afraid that there's a lot of whey trapped between the curds and that it will spoil the cheese

I don't want to use too much pressure because that makes the cheese drier--right?

So, should I use more pressure or should I cut the curds smaller? Or will these be okay?

Here are a couple photos....and thanks in advance for any help/information anyone shares with me.
Bobbie Greiner
Bemidji, MN

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: shape of curds visible inside the rind on Jack cheese
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 05:52:14 PM »
I don't see any downside to being able to distinguish the curds in your cheese.  This is done in all blue cheeses where they even leave air gaps to develop the blue PR.  They aren't pressed like yours so I think there is little chance that this will be detrimental to your cheese.  If you've ever broken apart a piece of cheddar then you've seen the result of the curds not fully binding together.  It breaks the individual curds apart. Your cheese will probably act very similarly.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

jmason

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 06:01:18 PM »
I can't see from your photos the problem that you describe.  I'm not an expert so a more experienced maker can correct me if I am wrong.  What you describe sounds like the curds didn't knit completely.  This could be that the acid develop quicker than expected and the curds expelled too much whey prior to pressing and at the low pH wouldn't knit together properly, or that you cheddered too long resulting in the same issue.  You didn't mention your culture used in the cheese.  The moisture content of the cheese would be a result of time renneted before cutting, how long and how much the curds were stirred, how long it was cheddered, salt content, and finally press pressure.  You could press a little harder without drying out the cheese assuming the other factors weren't contributing.  All that being said I am not seeing any problem that would ruin the cheese.  I would age it and enjoy it.

John

ps.  You may find the link below helpful.  It describes using flocculation time to determine when to cut and the impact on the moisture content.

http://cheeseforum.org/articles/wiki-cheese-curds-when-to-cut/

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 07:54:38 PM »
Nothing to worry about. Often happens on fresh cheeses. At least to me.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 02:53:23 PM »
As others have said, I don't think you have anything to worry about. How much the cheese is pressed is only one, and not the major, factor in how dry the cheese will be. On the other hand, it is not a problem, and in fact is pretty normal, to see "mottling" in the cheese even though the rind is well closed.

Give us a report on how it tastes in a few weeks/months -- how long are you planning to age these?
-- Andy