Author Topic: raw milk yogourt with thermo yog. culture?  (Read 2386 times)

jfroldan

raw milk yogourt with thermo yog. culture?
« on: May 10, 2009, 12:14:51 AM »
Hi,

Anyone here have experience making yogourt with raw milk using a danisco thermo culture?
How high do you heat the milk and how long do you incubate and at what temp?

thanks

JF
Quebec

Cheese Head

Re: raw milk yogourt with thermo yog. culture?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 12:33:47 PM »
Hello JF and welcome to this forum.

Good question, sorry no experience using those cultures for making yogurt. I just make personal amounts using this "machine" and some store bought yogurt as starter culture.

But there are product data sheets posted in our Library for two different Dansico Brand Thermo Yogurt cultures. Those sheets don't give directions but under Physical/Chemical Description they do say for test medium to Sterilize (ie pasteurize) reconstituted milk (!?), heat to 110C for 20 min and then cool to 42C, inoculate at 20 DCU's per 100 liters, and ferment for <=3.5 hours.

Also in our Library, there is a yogurt making guide from culture manufacturer CHR Hansen for their Yo-Flex yogurt making culture product line. It gives lots more info, albeit for their product line, detailed yogurt making guidelines including pasteurization temp and time and fermentation temp and time in Section 4 starting on page 22 for set, stirred and yogurt drinks.

Hope helps . . . where are you getting your Danisco Brand Thermophilic Yogurt Culture from and which one and how do you like results?

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 02:53:28 PM »
I have also used store bought yogurt as my culture and raw milk from my cow.  I have been best pleased with the results I get when I heat my milk to 160* and allow it to cool on the counter.  Pastuerizing the milk always results in thin, runny yogurt.

However, I do plan on buying actual yogurt culture for my cows next lactation to see if get different results that I like better.  I'm interested to see what you come up with.

jfroldan

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:46:22 AM »
I bought my cultures from Fromagex, in Quebec, www.fromagex.com
They have everything related to cheesemaking, mostly for big producers. We have been using store bought milk and commercial yogurt before, but now that we have a cow... no need for store milk.

We will try different things, but we put too much culture last batch, and the yogurt tastes almost like powder... weird

thanks

JF

sibilantstorm

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:49:54 PM »
I'm not familiar with these cultures (I use cultures from http://www.fermentedtreasures.com/yogurt.html) but I do make raw-milk and raw-cream yogurt weekly. I heat my milk to 110 degrees F, because I don't want to destroy the enzymes in the milk. This inevitably means that the yogurt won't 'set'... instead, it becomes sort of a thin, kefir-like texture up to a weak custard. You can thicken it by culturing a bit longer (I usually culture for 10 hours) and then draining off the whey for ~6 hours in the refrigerator. This gives me a nice, sort of thickish yogurt that holds up well to transportation (I carry it about with me during the day for snacking), but which tends to separate out the whey after an hour or so--it's amazingly tasty, though.