Author Topic: no curds  (Read 854 times)

ugadanny08

no curds
« on: January 09, 2016, 12:52:12 AM »
Hi guys,
I'm attempting to make cheese (monterey jack) for the first time and 45 minutes after adding the rennant there are no curds.  The top layer is thick, but no curds.  I'm using a cheese making starter kit and followed the directions exactly.  I used non-homogenized, creamline whole milk, do you think there is an issue with the milk?  Should I try add more rennant?   >:(

SOSEATTLE

Re: no curds
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 02:07:58 AM »
It could be the rennet, it could be the milk. Could you provide more details about what you did (temps, PHs, time, etc). Is the milk ultra or high temperature pasteurized. That can definitely affect coagulation. How old is the rennet? It can lose strength with time. Pictures may help also.

Susan

ugadanny08

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 03:21:39 AM »
so.................. after writing this I went back to check on it and it was ok :-[
I was expecting small curds to form after adding the rennet, instead it was one 3" curd that formed much later in the process.  I've got the cheese in the press now, so hopefully it will turn out ok. 
Thank you for replying.

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »
Ah, yeah. Maybe you're used to queso fresco-types, where you add a lot of acid at one time. This then lowers the pH and causes the protein to aggregate and form curds. However, when renneting for a harder cheese, it'll just form into a large, smooth mass of curd with much water in there. That's why you have to cut it into cubes, and then agitate to remove the water. So for this type of cheese, adding the coagulant is not going to make it form into individual curds.