Author Topic: Stirring curds  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Stirring curds
« on: May 10, 2016, 12:18:14 AM »
I just acquired a Hamilton Beach ice cream maker. The bucket and the stirrer (the "dasher") are made of plastic . The bucket fits nicely inside  a larger stainless kettle I have and so I wonder if anyone knows what the maximum temperature these plastic devices can be subject to before they breakdown? If I can heat milk to 110 F in the bucket and use the motor to stir curds this would be really wonderful. 

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Stirring curds
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 04:38:39 PM »
WAY too fast and aggressive for stirring curds.

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 05:08:12 PM »
Ah - Thank you. I had not yet even switched on the motor.. Is there some other device that can gently stir for 60 minutes without too much supervision. I teach online and would love to be able to create a set-up that I don't need to continuously monitor. Frequent and constant monitoring is OK but continuous monitoring is a challenge as I often do not have that hour or two to stand over the curds...

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 09:18:18 PM »
Search the forum. Lots of things have been tried including automotive window motors with varying degrees of success. Stirring too hard/fast will shatter the curds. If you're busy, it's OK to stir "occasionally", but frequently. Stirring helps the curds maintain even temperature and expel excess whey.