Author Topic: New cheese press, open source; plans and costs  (Read 3236 times)

lucasking94

New cheese press, open source; plans and costs
« on: December 22, 2016, 02:46:24 AM »
Stainless steel pneumatic cheese press with easy swap cylinders for varying pressure.

Designed, purchased materials, and built in 10 days. Very pleased with outcome. All questions, comments & suggestions welcome.
Starting a small scale R&D creamery collaborative.

Happy cheesin'

Fun for all, all for fun.

Lucas
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:36:01 AM by lucasking94 »

DoctorCheese

Re: New cheese press, open source; plans and costs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 12:04:28 AM »
Boy do I feel outclassed  :o I use bricks hehe

AnnDee

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 01:33:45 AM »
How many wheels does it press in one time? Is it very heavy?

lucasking94

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 01:27:00 AM »
How many wheels does it press in one time? Is it very heavy?

It's only about 30-35 pounds, total. It can press 4-6, 8kilo moulds fairly easily.

Here is a little better picture of the press in place in my micro-creamery which I just completed.

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 03:10:31 AM »
Nice looking press!!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 05:08:03 PM »
What is the diameter of the pneumatic cylinders?
-- Andy

lucasking94

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 07:19:38 AM »
What is the diameter of the pneumatic cylinders?

They're only 1-1/8", I have some 2-3/4" pistons (which mount on the interchangeable plate, by removing the 2 wing-nuts and the one nut on the cylinder; so very easy to interchange) too if I need to bump of the pressure and, in the big scheme of things bigger pistons aren't THAT expensive if needed.

I figure what I have will be adequate for getting the R&D facility up and running.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 04:40:08 PM »
Sounds like a nice combination. By my calculations, the 1.125" cylinders are going to give you about the same "weight" as the psi applied - i.e., applying 50 psi of air pressure to the cylinder would be equivalent to placing a 50 lb. weight on the cheese. Meanwhile, the 2.75" cylinders are going to give you nearly 6x the "weight" as the psi applied, so 50 psi of air pressure would be equivalent to a 300 lb. weight on the cheese. Assuming you can go up to, say, 100 psi, if you mount one of each size on either side of your press, you would have the ability to press 0-100 lbs. on the smaller cylinder and 0-600 lbs. on the larger.

Depending on the size of cheeses you are planning to make, this should allow you plenty of range. If you are making up to 8" diameter cheeses and the hardest-to-press cheese is a cheddar, you are good to go. If you are making an 8" Cantal, you might be a bit marginal on the pressure. If you are making, say, 12" diameter cheddars, you're probably going to need to get a larger pneumatic cylinder. :)
-- Andy

Beans

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 07:38:59 PM »
Looks great,2 presses is awesome.   When I built mine, I ended up putting a 3" cylinder on my press with regulated air.  Just might be easier than swapping.  IMHO.  One thing to look out for is welds at the corners.  The cylinders are so powerful they can break welds and bend pipe.

AnnDee

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 04:59:01 AM »
Do you design this yourself?
I think I might need this soon as now I am supplying to restaurants and pressing is always my problem as I can only press 2 at a time. Can you share the cost also?

lucasking94

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 01:17:40 AM »
Sounds like a nice combination. By my calculations, the 1.125" cylinders are going to give you about the same "weight" as the psi applied - i.e., applying 50 psi of air pressure to the cylinder would be equivalent to placing a 50 lb. weight on the cheese. Meanwhile, the 2.75" cylinders are going to give you nearly 6x the "weight" as the psi applied, so 50 psi of air pressure would be equivalent to a 300 lb. weight on the cheese. Assuming you can go up to, say, 100 psi, if you mount one of each size on either side of your press, you would have the ability to press 0-100 lbs. on the smaller cylinder and 0-600 lbs. on the larger.

Depending on the size of cheeses you are planning to make, this should allow you plenty of range. If you are making up to 8" diameter cheeses and the hardest-to-press cheese is a cheddar, you are good to go. If you are making an 8" Cantal, you might be a bit marginal on the pressure. If you are making, say, 12" diameter cheddars, you're probably going to need to get a larger pneumatic cylinder. :)

Thanks! Yup I've done the calculations, I'll probably end up going with something larger but this will get me though for now.

lucasking94

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 01:20:11 AM »
Looks great,2 presses is awesome.   When I built mine, I ended up putting a 3" cylinder on my press with regulated air.  Just might be easier than swapping.  IMHO.  One thing to look out for is welds at the corners.  The cylinders are so powerful they can break welds and bend pipe.

I wouldn't be suprised if tubes bent and welds broke with large cylinders and thin wall tubing, I've have tubing that's 1/8" wall 2"x2" tubing so it's fairly stout. :)

lucasking94

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 01:22:23 AM »
Do you design this yourself?
I think I might need this soon as now I am supplying to restaurants and pressing is always my problem as I can only press 2 at a time. Can you share the cost also?

I did design this entirely on my own with inspiration from working in artisan creameries, international travels and forums like these.

I have a spread sheet of cost, but am out of the country for 2 weeks, will share when I return.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:35:22 AM by lucasking94 »