Author Topic: Weak whey from goats cheese  (Read 1119 times)

JT101

Weak whey from goats cheese
« on: January 11, 2017, 01:31:16 AM »
Hello everyone

I've just made my first attempt at making goats cheese using vinegar.  Well actually it's my second try but the results were the same.  The milk is pasteurised whole fat goats milk.  I heated it to 85C for 10mins, turned the heat off and added the recommended vinegar.    I found the curds seperated into very small particles, and the the mixture was still the consistency of milk.  You can certainly sieve it out, and dry it out, but all the videos I've seen are of large thick, yoghurt like curds, following the same procedure I did.  Not sure what I'l doing wrong.
Here is a video of what it looks like: https://youtu.be/JhNL5GUjYFE

Any comments welcome

Thanks

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Weak whey from goats cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 07:30:34 AM »
I have never made it , but maybe try adding vinager when it is about 150f then keep heating until curds form .

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 08:22:41 AM »
Looks like my first, and last, attempt at goats cheese.
You don't say whether you used rennet so I assume that you didn't.
My advice would be, don't give up but try cow's milk which gives stronger curds and consider cultured and renneted cheeses. I think that you will find them more reliable.
- Andrew

JT101

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »
I didn't use Rennet.  I understand that Rennet gives firmer curds, but I'm following one of the many websites that shows how to make really simple goats cheese with just goats milk and vinegar/lemon juice.  I am using 5% apple cider vinegar and plenty of it.   I took it to 85C which is 185F and held it for 3-4mins constantly stirring to ensure it didn't scorch.  Some of these sites show people just bringing to 185F, turning the heat straight off and then adding the vinegar.  And it comes out like thick yoghurt within an hour, and they're using pasteurised milk.  I mean, I've certainly got goats cheese as you can see from photo attached.  But it's very soft, and the way the curds formed makes mew think it's not as good as their cheese.  This video  shows much larger curds than mine at 2:10 into the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=021sFcUmxvQ
I wonder if it's the volume of milk I'm using which is only a litre at a time.  Certainly all the websites show them using at least a gallon.   And I used loads of vinegar to the point where the curds and whey taste like vinegar!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »
Don't use more than the recipe calls for with vinager , other wise even if you get curds you will not be able to enjoy eating vinager  flavored cheese.  Also the extra acid could have some effect.

2 things make milk curdle , heat and acid you are using a lot of one ( heat ) and a little of the other acid

There is a balance , too much heat ( boiling ) seems to make very fine tough curds

Your thermometer could be off a little , this is why I suggest adding the called for amount of vinager and then finish the final heating , as I have seen my whey give up,the curd at as low as 170f  if it is acid enough .

Remember this is chemistry , the class we all slept through...... everything matters  precisely.