Author Topic: cream and white colors on lactic-set bloomy rind cheese with P. candidum and Geo  (Read 1700 times)

Offline lrunyenj

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
    • Laura Runyen-Janecky's web site
I am working on my first lactic-set bloomy rind cheese.  I am using the recipe from Gianaclis Caldwell's book, Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking.  I added Penicillium candidum (HP6 from Chooozit) and Geotrichum  candidum (Geo15 from Choozit) to the milk.  I am about a week into ripening at 95% RH and 53F.  I do see mold growing, and there is definitely a strong aroma (earthy, mushroomy?) but there are two shades of color on the surface ... a bright white and a cream color.  The white has the wrinkly surface, where as the cream is a bit smoother.  Can anyone comment on the cream color mold?  Is it the Geo?    Thanks!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
The wrinkle surface is geo for sure , can not say what the cream color is without a pic

You might want to leave the lid off or lower humidity some how to slow down the geo. 

Offline lrunyenj

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
    • Laura Runyen-Janecky's web site
Ah yes.  Pictures would be helpful.  I have posted a few here.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
I would say the cream color is the geo, and the white on top is the PC. But I could be wrong - it has happened once or twice before ... :)
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
If this is only a week old then the surface is too wet and probably the curd  was too wet also. You need to get that surface a little more dry ,  or you will get slip skin . It should be that dry white color is very where by now .

I recommend a fan to help it dry out .  If they do start to slip it is best to start to eat them