Author Topic: Hi and help from wet west Wales!  (Read 647 times)

OxiCow

Hi and help from wet west Wales!
« on: February 13, 2018, 01:37:52 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am joining as I have just started on my cheese journey. I have a jersey cow called Oxi, so we have plenty of raw milk every day for cheese making. I had a go at cheddar, which is waxed and ageing, then a go at Caerphilly, which seems to have gone wrong!
We are on week 2 of ageing but it has now gone very mouldy! I have been wiping it with salt water, which removes some of the mould but not all! There is blue and white that washes off easily, but there is now also some pink and black bits which don't wash off! Is it ruined?
Wondering if it was not salt enough, and it took a while to dry.

Thanks!

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: Hi and help from wet west Wales!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:14:53 PM »
Greetings Oxi and welcome to the forum.
The good news is that your Caerphilly should still be good.
Most cheeses will grow mould on the outside and that is not a sign of a lack of salt.
Keep on washing it or, alternatively, you could brush the surface of the cheese from time to time. It's more about controlling the mould than eliminating it.
When you come to eat the cheese, you can always trim off the rind if you don't like the taste of it.
- Andrew

panamamike

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:22:51 PM »
Welcom to the forum Qxi. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

OxiCow

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 08:54:50 AM »
Thank you both. I guess I was just concerned about the variety of mould, particularly the black and red. I have been giving it a wipe every other day when I turn it, it's not got much worse, we shall give it a try next week. I made this one as it said you could eat from 3 weeks. I have 2 cheddars on the go right now, can't wait to try them, still weeks to go on those!
I also made haloumi style cheese with cows milk and it has turned out really well!