Author Topic: Squeaky Curd cheeses - a question about temperatures  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Squeaky Curd cheeses - a question about temperatures
« on: March 14, 2018, 01:40:32 PM »
I've been making curd cheeses for a while now and I see that different sources suggest different temperatures to aim for - for ripening, for coagulating, during the removal of the whey. Some recipes ask me to ripen at 88 F , others at 95 F. some recipes ask me to reach 116 F during the stirring while others ask for 102 F. How critical are those temperatures and what is the basis for the particular temperatures indicated in the recipes? How much range will still make a good curd? What might the cool end and hot end of this range be? Thanks

Offline feather

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
Re: Squeaky Curd cheeses - a question about temperatures
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 01:31:10 AM »
Hey Bernard,
I have made curds in 4 gallon batches, 9 times since 2016 december. I've used all those temperatures, left them out overnight, refrigerated them overnight, and they always turn out, but never squeaky. If I want squeaky, the curds go in the microwave for 30 seconds, then they are squeaky.

Your temperature ranges cover pretty much all the recipes I've seen out there. Seems to me, the higher end temperatures cheddar a little faster than the low end temperatures. They're all good when they are eaten the next day.

River Bottom Farm

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 03:49:53 AM »
Temps will also vary with type of culture you use. Meso vs thermo will take different temperatures to ripen optimally

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 04:11:41 PM »
I use home made kefir as my culture.

Offline feather

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 05:20:43 PM »
I use home made kefir as my culture.

Kefir has the mesophilic cultures. I'd use the lower temperatures for that kind of cheddar curds cheese.