Author Topic: introduction, milks to look for and localized tips  (Read 2828 times)

create_usermaim

introduction, milks to look for and localized tips
« on: March 18, 2018, 07:51:47 PM »
hello , i'm fairly new here and to cheesemaking as well , i hope i post this in the right place. here goes ,my location is in bintulu,sarawak. my huge setback right now is finding a good enough milk as you all know there's only UHT milks in our supermarkets. not a huge selection of brands here too. so what milk brands do you guys use? are there any low temp pasteurization milks sold here? perhaps i can buy some online...and what's the scene with herding cows for milks here in malaysia? are there any XD? although there is UPM here in bintulu. they do herd cows . been there couple of times. i'm not sure if i can acquire some for personal use as i am no student or staff of that place. as for culture, i found a post of someone creating a thermophilic culture from yogurt. and i also found a seller online selling vegetable rennet.

some stuff online doesnt translate well here as you know like equipments. what to look for in gears. i'm looking to make aged cheeses and hard ones. like farmhouse cheddar and gouda. and i think i'm gonna start with gouda as i heard it's good to start with that . lastly, are there any tips and tricks ? what weird quirks/behaviour cheese do in our kind of room temp and humidity that i should look out for if there's any ? and maybe some ways to troubleshoot cheeses specifically gouda?

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
Re: introduction, milks to look for and localized tips
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 01:02:25 AM »
Hi there, I'm Admin, used to live in Brunei, been to Miri & Kuching but not Bintulu. You've posted in a Geographic type board vs on a subject board. That said, you have many questions.

Thus I suggest you use Search Tool at top right of Forum or more advanced Search Tool in Menu Bar to find some of your answers.

On milk I believe you can use UHT milk for some cheese like fresh cheeses, have a search.

Hope helps, Selamat Datang.