Author Topic: Toasted Hops White Cheddar  (Read 2594 times)

LarMoeCur

Toasted Hops White Cheddar
« on: April 11, 2018, 07:23:40 PM »
My love of beer is now affecting my cheese making.  My plan is to make a hop tea and wash the curds with just the liquid no hop particals after cheddaring and shreading.   I then plan on toasting some hops in the oven at 250F.  Hopefully, removing some of the bitter qualities and leaving the citrusy floral flavors behind.  Mix the toasted hops with olive oil and coat the outside of the cheddar after initial drying.

Anyone see any issues in do so? 

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Toasted Hops White Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 03:57:52 AM »
I do not see any issue with the out side treatment it should be rather nice .

But is suspect the washing will add no flavor.

I would instead try to make a hop flavor tea and add it the milk before renneting.

I have never used additives but I have read here that less is more.  Additives can over power the cheese.

LarMoeCur

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 03:18:53 PM »
Gregore,

My fear would be that the hop tea would lower the pH.  Good thing I have a pH meter!  How much do you think I should add?  I'm thinking no more than a 1/2 cup depending on how it tastes.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »
You definitely do not want to add the hop tea at the beginning, or it will be too dilute. Adding ingredients like this are a shot in the dark to get the flavor the way that you want it. I would consider "reducing" the tea to concentrate the flavor. This would have the added benefit of pasteurizing the "tea". I would check the pH of the reduction and adjust as necessary. Then I would spray the concentrate on the cheddar shreds to achieve better distribution.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 03:32:32 AM »
I will go with  at ever sailor says ... he makes cheese commercially .  In a week he makes more cheese than I will make in a year, make that 5 years .

LarMoeCur

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 12:47:18 PM »
Thank you Sailor!