Author Topic: Looking for small cheese vat 5 gallon size  (Read 4658 times)

CountryCottage

Looking for small cheese vat 5 gallon size
« on: May 01, 2018, 04:17:26 PM »
Looking for a small cheese vat 5 gallon size for making 4 gallon recipes of cheese, would love a temperature controlled steam jacket type vat. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

ophiuchus_99

Re: Looking for small cheese vat 5 gallon size
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 11:22:09 PM »
If you are looking for a legal 3-A approved vat pasteurizer this is the only one that I know of and it is the one that I use.  It works great but they are expensive.

http://www.microdairydesigns.com/

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 03:09:05 PM »
Just use a stainless pot and heat in your kitchen sink.

River Bottom Farm

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »
Like Sailor said use a stainless pot in a sink or look up Souse Vide on the forum here. If you still want a vat loom here: http://www.microdairydesigns.net/pasteurizers-vats/

CountryCottage

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 09:37:03 PM »
Thank you all for replying, I am looking into Microdairy Designs  :)

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 10:19:26 PM »
The Microdairy vat is great if you need to legally pasteurize, but if you're making cheese at home or don't need to pasteurize, there's no reason to spend $5k. 
A big stainless steel pot on the stove or in the sink will work perfectly.  Very little need for a temp-controlled water jacket if you're working with that much milk in a normal 70 degree kitchen - the temp just doesn't fluctuate that much. 

paul pennell

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 03:59:54 AM »
Looking for a small cheese vat 5 gallon size for making 4 gallon recipes of cheese, would love a temperature controlled steam jacket type vat. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

I use a bain marie that has a temperature control unit built in, the trays I have hold 8Lt (2.12 gallon) for smaller batches and a 20Lt (5.28 gallon) but I make 18lt batches in. Works great, you have to take a bit of time to work out temp controller but this didn't take long.