Author Topic: lactic set bloomy rind ripening  (Read 1633 times)

Offline lrunyenj

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
    • Laura Runyen-Janecky's web site
lactic set bloomy rind ripening
« on: June 01, 2018, 04:05:35 PM »
I am using the recipe in Gianaclis Cauldwell's book to make a lactic set bloomy rind in pyramid shapes.  I am having issues with the white mold ripening.  I am putting cheese in plastic box in an incubator set at 13C to try and get high humidity.  After 1 week, I only see the bloomy white on the top of the pyramid.   After draining, I salted the pyramids on all sides using two different methods (rolling and using a shaker).    I am wondering if the salt is not evenly distributed and that affects the ability of the P. candidium HP6 bloomy white mold to grow?   Alternatively, could I have too much Geotrichium candidum Geo15 growth (I used a scale to measure though so I think the ratio of Pen to Geo is OK)?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: lactic set bloomy rind ripening
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 12:52:06 AM »
With Camemberts, I salt on the two flat sides but not the curved side. The PC always blooms on the curved side first but eventually covers the whole cheese. I think that it takes a while for the salt to diffuse through the whole cheese but it does happen.
- Andrew

Offline lrunyenj

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
    • Laura Runyen-Janecky's web site
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 06:02:51 PM »
Here are a few pictures.  These are 11 days of ripening in boxes at 13C.  Boxes are fairly smelly. 

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 01:12:53 AM »
To me it looks like the cheese is ripening very quickly, maybe too quickly. I personally find my lactic bloomies do much better ripening at a lower temperature. I age mine at 46 deg. F (about 8 deg. C) the whole time it is being ripened. For me that has worked the best. You might try some experimentation to see what works for you.

Susan

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 04:17:06 AM »
I suspect that the curd was a little wet when salted ,  thus extra moisture on the surface

I think you may be getting a little b linens starting 

I recommend lowering the humidity a little and airing them out for 30 Minutes  each day , if you have a small fan that would be even better