Author Topic: Does anyone make cheese professionally and not own a dairy?  (Read 4235 times)

Dorchestercheese

I want to explore a small hand crafted cheese company but do not want to raise cows.  Does anyone do this?  Can you share your experience.

GigiGroth

Re: Does anyone make cheese professionally and not own a dairy?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 01:32:40 AM »
Hi,

I visit Lancaster, PA quite often. I saw  Rynn Caputo at a cheese demonstration (whom I had met at a food trade show in Vegas, Nevada in 2017.) of Caputo Brothers in Lancaster. They supply cheese to restaurants nationwide. They do not have a dairy farm but they pasteurize and make the cheese provided by a dairy farm.

Ultimately I want to have a neighborhood pizzeria using organic ingredients when possible. The past year I have been purchasing raw milk from a small no insecticide farm in Lancaster and make mozzarella myself for test marketing.  I am checking out Artisan cheese suppliers as well.

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 11:30:29 AM »
Great to hear Gigi.  I see you live near where I was born in Newport news.

ophiuchus_99

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 07:03:07 AM »
I want to explore a small hand crafted cheese company but do not want to raise cows.  Does anyone do this?  Can you share your experience.

I see that I am replying to an older post but I have been working on doing exactly what you are asking.  Here is a link to my story.
http://blog.cheesemaking.com/eric-olsons-amazing-mobile-cheese-truck/