Author Topic: New baby  (Read 6606 times)

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
New baby
« on: July 22, 2018, 10:38:37 PM »
I didn't make cheese today as planned....spent the whole morning in the barn
Look what "we" did today instead of cheesemaking.
More milk coming my way soon.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline feather

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
Re: New baby
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 11:16:41 PM »
adorable!

River Bottom Farm

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 11:21:51 PM »
Very cute Mike! How many goats do you have now?

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 12:04:00 AM »
Boy or girl?

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 03:34:43 AM »
I have 4 adult does. I share a buck with a neighbor who is also a cheesemaker. (We are the only two artisan cheesemakers in all of Costa Rica, as far as we know.)

When I have bucklings, the decision about what to do is easy--they get sold.
When there's a new doeling like this, it's hard. If you keep every new doeling you'll soon have a huge herd. And all I need is just a few good milkers. So I probably will be giving her to a friend who is bee keeper and who wants to barter honey for some goats.

My goal is to have no less than 2 girls milking at a time. That way I always have plenty of milk. When 2 are milking I average 2 gallons per day. (I get between 1.5-2.5 gallons per day, depending on where they are in the lactation cycle.) You can imagine what happens when 3 or 4 are milking! I only milk in the morning.  I used to milk twice a day and got about 1 1/2 times as much milk, but it's harder on the girls and it ain't easy for me either.  LOL

So between the milk we use for general cooking, for our amazing Costa Rican coffee, and for the artisan ice creams I also make, I usually make a 6 gallon cheese two or three times a week. That's plenty!
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.