Author Topic: My first cheese (young cow-chego)  (Read 971 times)

cheesehead94

My first cheese (young cow-chego)
« on: August 02, 2018, 02:27:32 PM »
Hi everyone, I cut into my first completed cheese this morning, what a great day to be alive! Technically it is the 2nd cheese I ever made, but it is the first one to the finish line (the other is a Tomme that is aging longer). It is a raw cow’s milk manchego using Caldwell’s “A simple picquant pressed cheese” recipe. I wanted to age it a while, but since it was just a 1 pound wheel I followed the advice of other forum members and decided to do a younger cheese (semi-curado if I remember correctly?).

For my first couple of cheeses I admittedly didn’t really take any notes on the make.  But I wrote a few things down. My potential concerns with the cheese were that I let it press a touch too long (PH got down to 5.2, I was shooting for 5.3), and I left it in the brine 20 minutes longer than I anticipated. I was also concerned with the curd knit (the rind looked less fully closed than the Tomme I made previously, but I didn’t want to press longer since the ph was already on the low end). I aged it in a wine cooler for just under 30 days at 85% rh, and oiled the rind with olive oil. Due to the creases/pits in the rind there were a few persistent mold crannies that I was really hoping would not lead to a moldy paste - fortunately all mold was superficial! I had heard that oiling the rind discourages mold, but I was surprised at how often I had to wipe it with salt and vinegar to keep it clean (every few days).

The paste has fewer mechanical openings than expected, since I was unsatisfied with how closed the rind was. The cheese tastes tangy, and reminds me of a cheese I had in Mexico called Queso Guerrero. It is not too dry, and although I think there is a lot than can be improved upon this cheese will definitely get eaten. I am proud of and encouraged by this cheese!

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Re: My first cheese (young cow-chego)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 04:11:07 PM »
Congrats!  AC4U
That 0.1 difference in pH and that extra 20 minutes aren't that big a deal....as evidenced by the pride you have in a very edible cheese.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

cheesehead94

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »
Congrats!  AC4U
That 0.1 difference in pH and that extra 20 minutes aren't that big a deal....as evidenced by the pride you have in a very edible cheese.

Hey, thanks! It’s color is a lot more gold than expected, no coloring added.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 07:30:12 AM »
A nice looking cheese and one you should be well satisfied with.
You obviously did a good job with maintaining the rind. Oiling does work but it takes some time and a number of coats. An occasional dry salt rub can help too.
Have a cheese from me for your first success.
- Andrew

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 06:58:12 AM »
Excellent early effort! Have a cheese. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.